Worried

Dr. please help me... I am a very worried guy... I have known this girl for a little more than a year and we have kissed and fooled around before... this time about 8 days ago we got a little drunk and tried to have sex. Well I say tried because we tried but it didnt happen (I assume)... I did try to enter her vagina but my penis didnt enter fully and lost its erection every time... not sure if it actually went in... After a while we left it I was tired and we were both tipsy so we slept off...

Bob... I have known this girl for a year or so... she is a friends sister and I do know that she was in a serious relationship till a year or so ago. After that she has been with one more guy... that too they "fooled" around and I dont assume had sex... we are good friends and this event with her went beyond our normal fooling around and is affecting me... I cant ask her if she has been tested ever... I would like your opinion here on what the risk is? Some vaginal secretions may have come in contact with my penis as we were trying... its been 8 days and I know is early to show any signs if there would be... I have been tested twice once in 2006 and in 2007 both negative... I havent been sexually active after that... but am frantic now since I am also on the start of a new relationship and really do not want to jeapodize it... I am probably reading too far into it but am really worried and would like your opinion and kind words. My donation is on its way.

Hello Worried,

Having (or trying to have) unprotected sex, even if your "penis didn't enter fully . . .," does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Certainly your exposure was brief and minimal, but your HIV risk is not completely nonexistent. Your best option is to get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result. You should also learn a very important lesson from this nerve-wracking experience: Unprotected sex is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences!

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive HIV test is negative.

Please Help
European escapades...