A different type of question

Dearest Dr. Frascino:

Your dedication and hard work is an inspiration and that is all. I want you to know, I have just started I-CAN (Intra Community Action Network), we strive to be a non-profit, non-governmental organization, which was started because of the work you do. After taking a human rights in africa course at university of chicago, i was introduced to your site and you really motivated me to try and make a change in this world. all proceeds will be donated to your foundation and this site. We are striving to bring communities together via community building activities for the awareness/fight against HIV/AIDS. We will begin by running a nation-wide series of basketball tournaments to raise attention/awareness. You guys recently sent me out a bundle of fliers, etc. to hand out at these events.

Now that I have that off my chest, onto the question.

I have been in a monogamous relationship since august of 2008 (atleast i hope so.) She claims the last time she had sexual activity was august 2008, before she and I got together. About 2 months after that I was tested for every STD possible, including HIV and everything came up negative.

In early november, later december I had a rash on my penis, that only sparked up during vaginal intercourse and stopped as soon as intercourse was finished. I thought it was weird, dr. called it contact dermatitis- she had a uti, dr. said i was reacting to it.

Now, the rash wasn't bothersome, it was here and there and only came up during vaginal intercourse. And ended up dulling down to being nothing. About a week ago, mid december i developed a bump on the head of my penis, it was small and red. Seemed to have no fluid in it, did not itch or have any pain, irritation, etc. associated with it. But, there were two other bumps one on the left side of my gentials and the other on the right. These seemed to be colorless (same color as my skin) with no pain, puss, or liquid in it, but they itched a lot. associated with it.

My girlfriend and I did all the research and it seems it cant be herpes because i would have some degree of pain. and syphillis would have just one sore. the dr looked at it and said it's scabies. I have not seen her itching or have any irritation and we are generally together 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.

So, contracting scabies from someone that has no symptoms present seems kind of illogical? She went to the gyno, and said they told her she has a yeast infection. and that's all, put her on diflucan 150mg tabs and had her get tested for everything else, because i asked her to. Doc said she looks clear..

The question is, i have definitive genital scabies. she is the only person i've had sex with, but she claims to have no rashes- i have never seen her itch and she said that her gyno said everything looks OK..

my question is, what can i do? what do you think is going on with me? is my girlfriend being dishonest? could this be something other than scabies?

I'm delighted my work has inspired you to follow the wise advice of Mahatma Gandhi: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Regarding your "different type of question,"

1. Is your girlfriend being dishonest? I really have no way of determining how honest your girlfriend may be. However, if indeed her gynecologist gave her the all-clear, I see no reason to question her veracity.

2. Could this be something other than scabies? Absolutely. The symptom you describe could be any of a number of things. Unfortunately I can't diagnose a rash over the Internet (and you shouldn't even try!).

3. What can you do? You should go see a dermatologist. They are the rash specialists, even for the lumps and bumps that happen to pop up on your home entertainment center (so to speak).

4. What do I think is going on with you? I think you are probably being overly suspicious of your girlfriend. Relationships are built on trust and honesty.

Good luck!

out of luck this time?
arv and contagion(FINDINGS SUGGEST HIV CAN BE TRANSMITTED FROM MSM WITH UNDETECTABLE VIRAL LOAD 2008)