Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Please Please Please will donate for answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 29, 2008

Hi Doc

Please Please Please Please will donate for answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have submitted my question to you before; please take the time to set my mind at ease. Please doc this is the forth time I am submitting my question; youre the only one who can clarify this matter.

Im having all these symptoms and not sure what to believe.

Thank you for taking the time to help out worry wells like my self. Just a quick question please Doc.

On the 22nd of December 2007 I had vaginal intercourse with a sex worker, (condom failure) after receiving pep within 4 hours after and completing the regiment. I returned for tests at 6 weeks, 12 weeks my final ELISA test was on the 14th of June 2008.( All tests negative)

Could my final test be considered conclusive? Could I have seroconverted after my final test if Pep had failed? And would a Hep vaccine on the day have prevented infection of the virus? Why do some institutions recommend testing out to one year? Would Elisa testing be considered as the correct testing method?

Keep up the great work

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. The post-PEP testing guidelines recommend testing out to six months. You can download a copy of the guidelines at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5402.pdf.

2. If your post-PEP six month HIV antibody test (from the date of exposure) continues to be negative, you would be considered definitively and conclusively HIV negative. Certainly your negative 12-week test was extremely encouraging.

3. No. Hepatitis vaccine given on the day of exposure would not completely prevent viral transmission.

4. I have no idea. I guess you would have to ask them.

5. Yes. An ELISA with a confirmatory Western Blot if the ELISA is reactive (positive) is a recommended testing method.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive six-month post-PEP HIV test remains negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Donation Made From Guy Stuck In Thailand Due To Riot - Please Reply
Next
Dtd $20. Pls Help Me,2nd time writing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.