AM I O.K.?

Hi Dr. Franscino, I am 23 years old. I've always gotten tested for HIV, and results have been non-reactive. In 3/08, I got tested and my ELISA WAS +.Then my doc tested me again, along with the western blot test. Again the Elisa was reactive, but the western blot came back indetermine. In 6/08 I got tested again 4 both tests, results were the same. I became pregnant in 9/08. Got tested again in 11/08(both tests)along with a viral load test.ELISA came back reactive, western blot came back negative, and according to my doc, my viral load was some low, she said it was negative. Due to be being pregnant, my doc is sending me to a high risk clinic. I haven't got my appt yet, but is there a specific test, I should ask the doctor to test me for. I just want to make sure my baby and I are alright. Thanks

In situations like yours I would order a qualitative PCR DNA test. It's not approved for routine HIV screening, but it can be quite helpful in sorting out conflicting or confusing HIV-antibody test results.

Looking at your test results from 3/08 to 11/08, I'm quite confident you are HIV negative. If you were HIV infected your initial indeterminate Western Blot would have been positive by now, not negative. Plus, your HIV plasma viral load would be sky high.

Anxious physician in a magnetic relatonship
Dr Bob can get some advice and possible a Wooo-hooo?