The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AM I O.K.?

Dec 29, 2008

Hi Dr. Franscino, I am 23 years old. I've always gotten tested for HIV, and results have been non-reactive. In 3/08, I got tested and my ELISA WAS +.Then my doc tested me again, along with the western blot test. Again the Elisa was reactive, but the western blot came back indetermine. In 6/08 I got tested again 4 both tests, results were the same. I became pregnant in 9/08. Got tested again in 11/08(both tests)along with a viral load test.ELISA came back reactive, western blot came back negative, and according to my doc, my viral load was some low, she said it was negative. Due to be being pregnant, my doc is sending me to a high risk clinic. I haven't got my appt yet, but is there a specific test, I should ask the doctor to test me for. I just want to make sure my baby and I are alright. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino


In situations like yours I would order a qualitative PCR DNA test. It's not approved for routine HIV screening, but it can be quite helpful in sorting out conflicting or confusing HIV-antibody test results.

Looking at your test results from 3/08 to 11/08, I'm quite confident you are HIV negative. If you were HIV infected your initial indeterminate Western Blot would have been positive by now, not negative. Plus, your HIV plasma viral load would be sky high.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Anxious physician in a magnetic relatonship
Dr Bob can get some advice and possible a Wooo-hooo?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint