Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DONATION ON THE WAY!.please answer dr bob a question worth answering from dubai!.
Dec 28, 2008

DEAR Dr Bob. hope you are doing well. this is my 15th attempt, i had unprotected sex with a girl i met in a bar 4 times in one night, in 2007 June ......i got tested for hiv in February 2008 which came out negative i had all the symptoms of hiv swollen soft axillary lymph nodes(still swollen armpits), swollen groin lymph nodes(still swollen),white tongue ,fatigue ,fevers,etc etc...i thank god the result came out negative but again i had 3 drunken episodes of sex with prostitutes after that all protected lasting 5 mins without cummin inside them and also one unprotected oral blow j. doctor bob till today and its almost Jan 2009 my swollen lymph nodes have not gone back to normal in fact now i have swollen tonsils( swollen neck nodes) which are called sublimandary lymph nodes i think. my question is do you think my hiv testing was inaccurate it happened in dubai where hiv people r kicked out and testing is compulsary every year for visa renewal thats how i got tested negative a year after the 4 times unprotected sex ,or have i got or can i get hiv from these exposers which i just mentioned. i have been worrying since 2007 doctor ,please let me know what else can cause these generalized swelling to last for almost 2 yrs now. i am thinkin what if it took time for my hiv to be developed or caught hiv from the mentioned exposers ,or what else could have caused my generalised lymph nodes for someone who never had them.. i hope you reply thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dubai-guy,

Well I guess the 15th time must be the charm, eh?

I would consider your negative HIV test in February 2008 conclusive proof that you did not contract HIV from your unprotected sexperience in June 2007. The three drunken episodes with hookers since then were all protected. Your HIV-acquisition risk from those drunken hookups would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not fail (break). The one episode of unprotected oral sex carries only a very minimal risk of acquiring HIV.

Swollen lymph nodes are an extremely common condition and can be caused by a wide variety of ailments other than HIV. I should also mention many folks think their lymph nodes are swollen when in reality they are completely normal. I'd suggest you see your general medical doctor for an evaluation if this is bothering you. I'd also suggest you clean up your act and stop having drunken hookups with hookers! Drink in moderation and hook-up only when sober enough to be certain you are adhering to safer sexual practices. Finally, if you continue to worry about HIV despite my reassurance, get a single HIV-antibody test three months or longer after your last potential exposure. I'm quite confident the results will be negative.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive HIV tests remain negative.

Be well. Stay well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I donate using cash or checks from Colombia??
Next
Why do you tell some people 3 months and others 6?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.