Re: Obama not for change

Dr, First of all, my wife and I are not conflicted at all about our son being a gay man. Im not sure why you bring that up. No, we havent had and dont need any family counseling. We are very proud parents of a proud gay man. We do not harbor negative views of gays and lesbians. We are proud he doesnt go to bathhouses, have sex with guys in bathrooms, or meet hookups on internet sites. He was raised with strong values, respects others and himself, and puts love before lust. Hes not a stereotype of how the world sees gay men.

And hes not a pretend Republican to please Mommy and Daddy. He has a right as an American citizen to choose his political party, and the Republican party is what he mostly agrees with, as do other gay men and lesbians. Its not all black and white, now is it? And his orientation, if you will (yes, its a lifestyle for some) doesnt affect his politics which is refreshing, unlike many people who are clones and cannot think for themselves.

Obama is not going to do anything different for gay people. He used gays to get their vote, and out of all the pastors who he could have picked, choosing Rick Warren has angered many, as well as Donnie McClurkin singing at one of his fundraisers last year.

And its highly unlikely he will overturn dont ask, dont tell, something hypocritical Bill Clinton started. Nobody seems to mention that anymore.

As for you, I dont care whether you publish this letter or not. Youre as bigoted as they come. As for how you got HIV, who really knows the truth. You could have got it from a needle or from sex.

And you dispense a lot of really bad information.

Happy New Year!

Charles

Back again Charles? Tell me, why do you spend some much time lurking on this Web site and why are you so keen to convince me you are so proud of your gay Republican son? This is an AIDS information website not a forum for parents conflicted about their son's sexual orientation (not lifestyle!). Somehow I just don't see you or Dick Cheney becoming president of your local chapters of PFLAG (Parents and Families of Lesbians And Gays). For your own edification, I should mention that whether the fruit of your loins meets his future husband (or next trick) online or even in a gay bathhouse, that should not make him an "undesirable," nor would it necessarily put him at risk for HIV if he practices safer sexual techniques. He could be at greater risk meeting a closeted self-loathing gay Republican at the Baptist sleep-away camp and having unsafe sex because they were never taught the essentials of safer sexual practices! Your comment: "Hes not a stereotype of how the world sees gay men" is quite telling. It really signifies how YOU see gay men. Stop blaming the world for your biased views and unwarranted fears. It's obvious your view of gay men (and the Republicans view of gays in general), despite having a gay son, is terribly warped. I for instance am a legally married gay man. I have been in my committed relationship for 16 years. Both my husband and I are successful physicians who have devoted our lives to helping others. I have founded two clinics devoted to the comprehensive and compassionate care of those infected with HIV. I have also founded a not-for-profit charitable foundation that had raised over 1,500,000 dollars for AIDS Service Organizations worldwide. I'm sure my life does not conform to your view of "the gay lifestyle". But then again stereotypes are never true representations of reality. Otherwise they wouldn't be stereotypes, right?

As for Obama, the guy hasn't even picked out his tuxedo for his inauguration ball yet. Don't you think it's a bit premature to judge his presidency? If you insist on commenting on a truly failed presidency with disastrous consequences for us all, look no further than the current Republican administration.

Finally, it's interesting you call me a bigot. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I certainly will spend no time trying to convince you of that fact. Your thinly veiled jab about my occupational exposure shows the depths of your psychopathology and illustrates that I just may have struck a nerve in responding to your previous rants.

Charles, if you find the science-based information that I dispense here to be "bad," please feel free not to read or heed it. And please don't bother writing back Charles, as I am blocking you from this site. (You can still read if you like, but you'll not get any further responses from me.)

I would say have a good life Charles, but I tend to doubt that will be the case based on your behavior here. So instead, I'll just say good luck because I'm quite sure you'll need it.

Pres. Elect Obama not gay friendly Dec 19, 2008

Dr, Last March I sent you a question, and this was your response.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Hepatitis/Q191675.html

The election is now over, my family did not vote for Obama, but we wont be angry Republicans(like many Democrats). We will support our president 100%. If you think President Obama is going to be gay friendly, you are wrong. He courted the gay vote, and he got it, but nothing is going to change for gay people.

Were still Republicans and will remain that way. Our son isnt going through any kind of phase, and its not incomprehensible that hes a Republican. There are many gay Republicanstheyre just not vocal--and theyre not self loathing either, a name many will call them. They dont relate to the Democratic agenda, plain and simple. And they dont want to be part of any kind of gay lifestyle. They just happen to be gay, but dont relate to gay promiscuity and the lifestyle that is promoted. I find more Democrats to be bigoted than Republicans.

The high STD and HIV rate among gay men in the US has nothing to do with President Bush. It has to do with irresponsible people. You play, you pay. All you have to do is read many of the questions on here and see what's going on.

People want their fun, and then the next day regret what they did the night before.

Charles

Hello again Charles,

You won't be angry Republicans like many Democrats???? What does that mean? I don't know any Democrats that are "angry Republicans," but I certainly know plenty of pissed off GOPers! For instance, try watching Fox News anytime they need to mention Obama.

". . . Nothing is going to change for gay people . . . ."??? WHAT??? Have you seen the massive demonstrations resulting from Prop 8 passing? Marriage equality is definitely coming.

Considering your son is gay, which obviously you remain very conflicted about, I'm amazed you still harbor such negative views of gays and lesbians. Have you ever considered that most of us are very much like your son (except not pretending to be Republican to please Mommy and Daddy)? Gay is not a "lifestyle;" it's a sexual orientation. Gays don't promote promiscuity any more than straights promote rape or child abuse (both of which are far more prevalent in the heterosexual world).

As for "you play, you pay," I agree. However, if indeed you had taken the time to really read this forum, you would see the play and pay phenomenon is equally split between gays and straights.

As for Obama, I'm disappointed he chose Pastor Rick Warren to give the invocation at his inauguration, as Warren is an ardent supporter of Proposition 8 (which Obama opposed). Whether Obama will support equality for all, only time will tell. I remain hopeful.

As for Bush, it's now official: The "W" stands for worst president ever! My opinion of him, the rightwing agenda, your son and your malicious intolerance of all things gay (including your son's innate sexual orientation) remains completely unchanged from my initial post below. I wish you all enlightenment! No need to write back as I won't be posting anymore of your nonsense. This is an HIV/AIDS information forum not a sounding board for someone who's conflicted about their son's sexual orientation. Family counseling might be worthwhile as it seem to me at the moment you have more problems and issues to pick through than the school nurse on lice day.

U.S. Syphilis Rate Grows for 7th Year in Row Mar 29, 2008

Hi Doc, Last week some news came out about about syphilis on the rise, but what I found most disturbing is that it said it is "driven largely by cases among gay and bisexual men."

What is going on to cause this? Granted, it can't kill you but this bug should have been eradicated years ago.

And please don't blame it on George W. Bush. My wife and I and our gay son(HIV neg), are all Republicans!

Charles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080313/hl_hsn/ussyphilisrategrowsfor7thyearinrow;_ylt=As338sD9kbqatDTBi7eaXP_VJRIF

"The syphilis rate among men increased 14 percent from 2006. It was six times higher than the rate among women. Men who have sex with men comprised approximately 64 percent of reported syphilis cases in 2007," he said.

The increase in the syphilis rates among gay and bisexual men is a significant health concern, Weinstock said. "Syphilis, like other STDs [sexually transmitted diseases], can increase the likelihood of HIV transmission two- to five-fold. For individuals already infected with HIV, syphilis can increase viral load, which can accelerate HIV disease progression and the potential for HIV transmission," he said.

Hello Charles,

It is indeed true that syphilis is on the rise and that there is both an increased incidence and prevalence in men who have sex with men. There are many potential underlying reasons for this, including a decreased use of safer sexual practices resulting from "condom fatigue" and yep! you guessed it: Dubya's catastrophic abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education initiatives. The abstinence-only curriculum talks only about condom failures. It does not mention the scientifically proven reality that appropriately used condoms prevent both STDs and unwanted pregnancies. Also Bush's sex-phobic, science-phobic policies have had a disastrous effect on many targeted STD-prevention programs. When's the last time you saw an ad for condoms on network TV? Bush's policies have not created more rosy-cheeked virgins, but rather more STDs. The annual rate of new HIV infections, which has been stable for the past 15 years, is now going to be revised upward by as much as 50%!

I must also mention I find it somewhat sad that you and your wife, having a gay son, would still support the Republican agenda. You do realize Republicans do not believe your son should get married, adopt children or have equal rights. And they are actively trying to write this bigotry and discrimination into the Constitution of the United Sates! Finally, as for your gay son also being a Republican, well, I find it incomprehensible and can only hope it's only a phase he's going through. (perhaps a way of gaining or ensuring parental support?) and that enlightenment is just around the corner.

light one cigarette with the other cigarette.
FINALLY, it's time to Wohoo Doc!