Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Devastated by symptoms
Dec 27, 2008

Dear Doctor Bob,

I am a longtime fan and forum viewer. Since my last negative HIV test 4.5 years ago, I have developed some symptoms that have me very nervous to test. My risk is as follows: sex with 4 women using latex condoms without noticable breaks (but who the heck knows).

In the past four years, I developed: recurrent mild seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp and nasolabial folds; two episodes of jock itch; and one very itchy reaction to mosquito bites (i was out all day and but It was a very clustered and itchy reaction).

The more I see stuff online, the more I worry. I actually donated to your foundation several times and got a leaflet in the mail. I will re-donate.

What do you think of my chances to test negative bob? I am really worried here.

All the best (and congrats on the Republicans losing).

D

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey D,

As for a latex condom breaking and "who the heck knows," you would! When condoms fail, they do so very dramatically. Mr. Happy's head generally comes poking out, just like your head pokes out of a turtleneck sweater!

As for your "symptoms," please note, despite what you may read online, symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

What do I think of your chances of testing negative? I'd say your odds are excellent. Stop worrying. Get tested. And then start WOO-HOOing, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
InActive HIV
Next
light one cigarette with the other cigarette.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.