Please please reply Dr. Bob, Very scared, Writing for the 3rd time.

I know you get a lot questions from people with baseless fears. I hope this is one of them. I had a sexual encounter with a sex worker.(protected vaginal and unprotected cunnilingus). I have a wisdom tooth that is a little sore and occasionally secretes something like puss. Is it likely to get infected via this route? The next day I developed a sore throat with mild pain. The pain went away completely in around 5 days but my tonsils are still a little swollen and its been around 15 days. I have no other symptoms. The depression and occasional loss of appetite i am facing is purely because i worry about it too much. Do you think I could be infected with HIV? Would i see symptoms so fast if i was? What other STD's show symptoms like this? I love the work you do here. Will make a $150 donation soon.

Your fears are unwarranted. Assuming there was no open wound, the chances of acquiring HIV from unprotected cunnilingus are extremely remote. Symptoms resulting from acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) do not become manifest until two to three weeks after primary HIV infection. If you remain worried, despite my reassurance, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative and should put your (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest. I'd also recommend you have that wisdom tooth problem taken care of! Those types of recurrent local abscesses can lead to other types of problems (blood infections, for example).

Thank you for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and will help turn hopelessness into hope for those struggling with the challenges of living with HIV/AIDS. In return, I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma for a healthy and happy new year, which includes staying HIV negative!

Good luck!

Contact information for activists.
3 or 6 month testing