|Really need your help - Oral Thrush: going mad!
Dec 24, 2008
Hi, Doctor Bob.
I guess I should take some comfort in you not answering my questions, but I would really appreciate a response.
As I have told you previously, I have had oral thrush for two years (I know you say it's over-diagnosed, but this really is thrush!).
I don't have any predisposing factors and so am struggling. I worry because:
1. This came on after a sexual exposure 2. The thrush, if it isn't due to HIV, means that I may have a condition that would invalidate my negative elisa results (ie. CMC,no antibodies etc) and so I may still have HIV.
Please help. This thrush is like a constant reminder and I can't move on.
I look forward to your response (hopefully!).
| Response from Dr. Frascino
I'm not sure how I can help you over the Internet other than to reiterate the facts:
1. Thrush is an over-diagnosed condition. See an ENT specialist (or infectious disease specialist) if you think you have persistent thrush. Most likely you do not.
2. Even if you do have thrush, the vast, vast majority of cases have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS! Once again, an infectious disease specialist should be able to determine any underlying cause of a recurrent thrush problem.
3. Even with thrush (which I doubt you have) your HIV-antibody test results would still be valid and accurate.
4. You are HIV negative. How you choose to live with this wonderful reality is totally up to you.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.