Have you accepted my apology?

Hey Dr. Bob,

Just checking in with you to see if you have accepted my lengthy, Dec. 18 apology for my intrusive rants about your occupational accident. You have not yet answered me. It is important for my psyche that I get an affirmative answer one way or another, yay or nay! Preferably yay! If you have not read because you did not recieve it, let me know so I can post it again.

I hope you and Dr. STeve have a great holiday and the weather out there in San Fran is better than the two foot blizzard and three-day blackout we're experiencing here. I'm a germophobe as you know and I can't even take a shower. I'm freaking out!

Nate on the East COast

Hi Nate,

Apology received. Apology accepted.

Happy Holidays to you as well. I could mention our warm sunny weather here, but I suppose that would be considered mean, eh?

As for freaking out about taking a shower because you are such a germophobe, this merely reinforces my assessment and advice regarding your ongoing psychological problems. I hope Santa brings you some counseling sessions to help you confront and conquer your irrational fears.

Happy Holidays.

Only a three-word answer please Dr. Bob Dec 17, 2008

Hey Dr. Bob,

I know you're busy with other people's posts but please hear me out and respond, you'll be helping me a great deal.

In your December 9th post to me you told me I should get psychiatric help for irrational fear of Hiv after two posts of my potential 'exposures' (there were a lot more than that, but these were the only ones I wrote to you about). unfortunately, I don't believe in psychiatry, but I do believe in the creative power in each of us as divine incarnations of God, so I'm currently taking some time out of my life to try to fix my phobias and guilts and neurotic behaviors by returning to awareness of my soul's purpose here. This process of creation requires thought, word, and action, and my post to you here is in the "word" portion. An important part of the human creative process is to think, then get the word out to give "fuel" to creations and change our energy field. So you're going to think think this kid is a nutjob but I can't ask anyone I know to do this because they'll think I'm crazy. So I'll use you as a "wall" I can bounce my words off of: "I choose to be completely free in my body and mind to do express myself in any way I want. This includes releasing myself from imagined guilts, thoughts poisonous to Myself, and irrational/illusional fears of phenomena such as HIV. I understand that these fears do not reflect who I know I am and I choose to see myself as healthy because I know I am. I seek to embody myself as total freedom and see everything that happens in my life as an opportunity to express myself in this way."

Now, Dr. Bob, the only response I need from you is..."I read it." The act of making a statement about oneself is very powerful and will help me on the road to recovery, and I need to know that you recieved my word--the word is thought exchanged and multiplied in its force between two or more people. Unfortunately, most people do not use these principles of creation because they see themselves at the mercy of the whims of fate and the decisions of other people. In the universe as actually is, there is no fate or coincidence because we create aspects of ourselves to try to evolve our souls, and the whole world is at our soul's beckoning. From what I know about you, however, you use these principles very well, even if you don't know about them. Your choice to view your life as "lucky" and to be cheerful and help millions of people is a life that should be made an example to everybody. I hope you are able to at least see the possibility that your 'accident' was in fact no accident but a an action taken by your soul to help you evolve, an evolution that will take many more lifetimes to be complete.I won't explain them to you because you are living them better than anyone I know...and trust me, your life will continue to be happy and you're doing everything right to eliminate a certain unwanted guest from your bloodstream. Some might call this impossible, some might call it a miracle, but you and I will know that it was your outlook, attitude, and belief in your vision that changed the energy field in this way. You may think I'm just a dumbass kid but these principles really work that way, I've used them before and have seen other people use them and this is what I know in my heart about the world.

Awaiting your response. And Happy "Thankschristkwaanzah" to your too!

Nate on the East Coast

P.S. I've given you my email address and feel free to 'use' me to 'bounce' your Word off if you want (if you believe in this). I won't think you're crazy!!

Hey Nate,

I've read it. In fact, I read all the posts that come into my inbox.

Regarding your notion that my occupational exposure and seroconversion to HIV positive was not an accident, but rather "an action taken by (my) soul to help (me) evolve . . . ," sorry Nate, that's pure poppycock! Certainly every challenge should be looked at as an opportunity to learn and grow, but Nate, sooner or later you'll learn that life, love, sex, illness and a host of other human experiences are really a series of unscheduled events over which neither you (nor your soul) has the least bit of control.

Good luck with your divine incarnation and affirmations as a way to conquer your "phobias and guilts and neurotic behaviors . . . ." However, whether you "believe" in psychiatry or not, in my opinion, a good shrink is the best and perhaps only effective way to address your problem. Nate, you're freaking out over virologic doorknobs and toxic peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My assessment and advice remain absolutely unchanged. (See below.)

Nate again--left PB&J unattended, possibly blood sauced? Dec 11, 2008

Hey Dr. Bob, Hope you had a terrific thanksgiving! Happy holidays! I plan to donate to your foundation for your generous answer to my last question. thank you for (partially) putting my fears of virologic doorknobs to rest. Unfortunately, my overactive hypochondriacal mind has spawned another mental reaper to antagonize me. I went to school the other day, and I left my lunch in the car for three hours of so. Now usually, I lock the doors to my car, but for some reason, when I went to eat my lunch, I couldn't remember whether I had to unlock the car door or not! So there was about a 10 percent chance the car door was unlocked while my sandwich sat in the parking lot, exposed for all the world to fiddle with. Suppose, just for argument's sake, that a hipster hoodlum or hooligan from the hood approached my car looking to steal something, found it unlocked, and was so distressed about his HIV positive status that he wanted to share his misery with me? what if he bled himself right between my welch's jam and skippy smooth for a little unwanted zest? Now the wildcard here is that it was at least ten minutes between getting to my car and eating my sandwich, and the car was in view of classroom windows, perhaps hindering even the most ambitious and reckless of miscreants. In the middle of eating it, I realized with dawning horror the possibility and began scarfing down ginger ale and potato chips to try to wash down and dilute any infected sero-sauce. In your opinion, do you think this would have been effective in preventing transmission? I religiously checked for sores and cuts in my mouth and found none (phew). But, I know that blood wouldn't have dried between the bread because it was not exposed to air, possibly keeping the virus alive. I know this risk is very low and you have other more legitimate letters to read, so I'll end this narrative here. I apologize if similar quesions have been asked before,but I can't help but think my situation is differen (more realistic). And keep in mind the door was probably locked in the first place, rendering this whole shebang obsolete. yeah, I'm in college and should be smarter than to do a dumbass thing like this by now. but for now, I've got a severe case of "fraids" on top of my other mental quirks. now I must push my 3 month test back. Thanks Bobalicious. Donation to follow. Nate on the East Coast

Hello Nate,

Back again so soon??? That's a bad sign! Nate, please refer to my response to your December 2, 2008 questions. Now replace "non-bleeding booboo and virologic doorknobs" with "unattended PB&J sandwich" and you'll have my answer to your current questions. Also, considering the outlandish nature of your concerns, I also recommend you seek some counseling to help you cope with your totally irrational and completely unwarranted HIV fears. Without such help you my soon be worrying about contracting the virus from me via the Internet!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org)

Happy Thankschristkwanzaakah.

cut on finger + virologic doorknobs = hypochondriac worried well Dec 2, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

First I want to say that you are a model for all of us to live by. You were infected helping someone and now continue to fight just as hard to help your own cause and help the rest of us not to meet the same fate. You have a lot of good karma directed your way and I have total faith that you will live a long, happy life and that you will be an integral part of finding a cure someday (not to mention that my eyes have been watering reading your hilarious responses). Don't listen to those gap-toothed, gun-toting, limbaugh-loving, southern foothill-dwelling christian fundamentalists who don't respect you--you are a hundred times better than them and more a saint in God's eyes than they could ever be.

I'm sorry if this question is asked a lot, but I am a hypochondriac and I was helping a neighbor move the other day. the epidermis of my index finger got scraped raw in a tiny area. the next day I went to school and forgot to bandage or neosporin my booboo and I was walking around all day touching doorknobs at the school with the same finger that was still raw from the day before (although it was long past the bleeding stage). I want to know what my chances are of being infected, say someone jerked off in the bathroom and didn't clean up and I touched a doorknob or bled and was careless about it (although I never entered a bathroom thank God). It would have come in direct contact with the wound! Please Dr. Bob I hope I'm not being disrespectful to you and others who fight this disease everyday with your chin up, and I know my chances are slim, but could you give me a percentage chance? I'm thinking of arranged a NAT or a PCR test with Labcorp at 28 days because I don't think I can bear to wait 3 months. Should I? I value your expert opinion and will follow whatever you advice.

Much Thanks and good karma, Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your very kind comments.

Regarding the HIV risk from your non-bleeding booboo and "virologic doorknobs" at school, your HIV-acquisition risk is exactly zero! Yep, that's right: zero, zip, nada, bupkis! If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Nate, HIV testing is not warranted for medical reasons. However, if my reassurances are not enough for you to shake your (unwarranted) worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. NAT and/or PCR are not recommended for routine screening due to the rate of false-positive tests.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well!)

HIV worried well
anal fluid in my eye