Scared fool from the uk!

Hi Dr Bob.

Im sorry to ask pretty much the same question that 1000's of other's have already asked you on here, but I really need to put an end to my worry.

About 12 days ago, I had vaginal sex with a girl I'd met that night. while I was inside her the condom I was using broke and I did not realise, although being in a drunken state that I was (I know this is no excuse) my penis was not fully erect and I was not inside her for more then 2 minutes (Again, I know this really doesnt make much of a difference). I also recieved oral sex from her.

A few days later I started getting a tingling feeling in the top of my Penis, I instantly started driving myself mad with worry and started checking up online for possible symptoms of what it could be, although after a few more days this feeling stopped.

About 8 days after the possible exposure, I started getting very light pains around my lymph nodes towards the groin area this has been happening everyday since and I get the odd twinge in the nodes in my armpit and neck. Although they are such a small amount of pain that if I didnt know swollen lymph nodes are a possible HIV symptom I probabally wouldnt even notice them!

also on monday night I woke up in the night and my right little finger (pinky) was numb and after a few minutes of moving my finger it came back to life! Last night the same thing happened on the left side of my hand, and for both night's I've had very small hot flushes where I have sweated for a few minutes, then returned to normal.

Anyway sorry to go on...My main question is, Do you think I am just being extremley paranoid about the whole thing and my mind is making me jump to conclusions, as I've read that symptoms usually take at least 2 weeks before showing up? Is it possible for symptoms to mildly start showing after 8 - 12 days?

I intend to get a HIV blood test after 3 months and also a full STD check in the next week or so!

Thanks for the help you give everyone everyday Dr. Bob. I shall be mamking a donation to the foundation later today!

Thanks in advance. Simon

Hi Simon,

Your risk is brief unprotected insertive oral and vaginal sex (due to condom failure) with a person of unknown HIV serostatus. The "symptoms" you describe are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). I agree with your plan for a three-month HIV-antibody test. I would advise you ratchet down your anxiety levels, as the odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this episode, OK?

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Be well. Good luck.

Gday Gday Hows it going?
HIV eliminated in 10 years?!