Significant exposure requiring 6 month?

Hi Doc,

Excellent work here and a really great sense of humor:)

I had a recent unprotected insertive oral and receptive anal(protected no break)exposure to a confirmed HIV poz guy who had lied about his status-I know all bout the assume everyone is poz thing, but, I never engage in unprotected anal or vaginal sex. I wouldnt knowingly engage in oral either with a poz guy, its just my level of comfort. But one shouldnt be so scared of hiv that you are sexually paralyzed. The risk is the insertive unprotected oral. I did ejaculate. He admitted to being poz after the fact several days later. Thank God I refused to Bareback and receptive oral-Id been to the dentist the day before for a cleaning...

I had a test at the 4 month mark which was neg. Im wondering if this was considered a significant enough exposure that I need a 6 month test?? Im very worried. Also, is it defenitive that HIV cannot pass intact latex, or is it assumed that it cant....it just seems so risky even with a condom....I cant help but think i must have been infected having had sex with a poz guy....Im kinda mad I was lied to about it, but the fact is ive prob been with poz guys before and not known it anyway. Im not lose or anything, but I enjoy sex as much as the next guy. Personally, I cant believe the guy was going to knowingly top me without a condom aware of his status. Its a dangerous world out there.

Thanks for your efforts to help people like me! You must have a truck load of good karma hid somewhere:)

I would consider your negative test at four months to be definitive. However, if you are worried, you can always repeat your test at the six-month mark. Insertive oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV acquisition. If you had decided to play Brokeback Mountain with that poz cowboy, then I would be recommending a six-month follow-up test.

Regarding condoms, HIV cannot permeate intact latex or polyurethane. No way. No how. However, please note condoms are not always used properly and on rare occasions they can fail (break).

Yes, it is a dangerous world out there. Twenty-five percent of the over 1,000,000 HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are even infected with the virus. Plus, it's a well-documented fact that the higher powers gave men a brain and a Mr. Happy, but only enough blood to run one at a time. Consequently, we must all remain diligent and take all the necessary safer sex precautions to decrease the risk of HIV transmission with all our sexual partners.

Be well. Happy Holidays.

OPTIMISTIC
Validity of HIV