Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: all i see are no risk people asking questions, what about me in ireland??
Dec 20, 2008

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. But.... My symptoms, are they typical?? The timeframe, isnt it typical?? And yes I had chlamydia at the time(I got tested). Doesnt that increase my chances of contraction? My girlfriend and I had finished before all this. Hope it didnt sound like I blamed her in some way.I blame myself for everything.

Anyway, just to say. I truely admire you. I dont where you find your strength to do what you do.

Please reply.

Donation on the way

Thanks

all i see are no risk people asking questions, what about me in ireland?? Dec 19, 2008

Hi, This is my second attempt to ask and seek a reply. I realise you do your utmost best to reply to all. Simply i had unprotected sex with a sub saharan african prostitute. I just met her in a club but realise next day what she works at. Either way i know I am still an idiot for having unprotected sex. Very High risk I might add. Now i know symptoms are unreliable indicators. But you seem to always say they show up two to three weeks after. So my story is that after 11 days i developed a slight cough. By two weeks it had developed into a heavier cough with some phlegm and blocked/runny nose. Also my jaw was stiff and my ears felt like they needed to be popped. Possibly swollen around the neck area too. This had all more or less subsided after three weeks or little more, except for the cough which still lingers slightly after 26 days. Sounds about the right period of time for serconversion?? And the right symmptoms?? Please i just need to be prepared. Also one more thing. My cheating ex girlfriend has just told me she has an STI, chamydia, which has probably been passed to me. In hindsight i did have some symptoms. So all in all I am a wreck and am afraid and depressed and alone. But i know i need to be prepared for the worst. Please are my symptoms typical?

Thanks so much. I will donate. Just tell me how.

Hoping for a reply

Doubting Ill ever woo hoo again

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If indeed you "know symptoms are unreliable indicators" for predicting who is and is not HIV infected (and I strongly agree!), why are you focusing on your symptoms??? That just doesn't make sense.

The reason to worry or get tested is HIV risk. You had unprotected sex with a sub-Saharan African prostitute. Consequently, you put yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV, and need to be screened whether you are symptom-free or have "every symptom in the book." It really is just that straightforward.

Considering your ex-girlfriend has chlamydia, you'll need to be treated for that. I don't know when she became your "ex," but it appears there may have been some cheating going on in both directions.

Considering you describe yourself as "a wreck . . . afraid . . . depressed . . . and alone," I'd suggest you talk to your doctor. He may well recommend counseling to help you cope with the stress of waiting through the window period for your HIV test. Please note despite your risk, the odds remain very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this one-time lapse in judgment.

Thank you for your desire to make a donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Donation information can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Just click on the donate tab. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test is negative.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Why are you perseverating on "typical symptoms" or "typical timeframe" when you know symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected??? It's not helpful in the least! Reread my comments from your initial post (printed above). Worry about your risk exposure, not symptoms! As for your chlamydia infection, it is true that some concurrent STDs can increase the likelihood of HIV transmission.

My assessment and advice remain absolutely unchanged from my initial response.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A Success Story
Next
cont'n on its way

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.