Prep Opinion

Dr. Bob, What is your opinion on the use of "prep" if one could get meds prescribed off label? The reason I ask is because I am normally very safe when it comes to sex, however, once or twice a year I find my self drawn to a bathhouse. While at such place I mostly engage in getting sucked, however, once in awhile I will suck (no cum) and top with condom). So far I have tested neg... but If I could reduce any risk by taking meds a few days before I go I would definately consider doing so.... Thanks for all you do... you really have opened my eyes and brought some sanity in my life when I really needed it.

PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) has not been studied or evaluated for the type of periodic use you describe. Presently it is being evaluated for magnetic couples with the negative partner taking the antiretrovirals on a continuous basis. Once we know for certain that it is effective in that setting, perhaps additional potential indications may be evaluated. I would worry about the situation you describe, as it could lead to sexual disinhibition. Folks might assume PrEP is 100% effective and forego safer sexual practices. PrEP, like PEP, will most likely not be 100% effective. Also, it will not prevent non-HIV STDs. My advice is to continue to practice safer sexual techniques.

ICMA TEST
antigen plus antibody hiv test