Pres. Elect Obama not gay friendly

Dr, Last March I sent you a question, and this was your response.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Hepatitis/Q191675.html

The election is now over, my family did not vote for Obama, but we wont be angry Republicans(like many Democrats). We will support our president 100%. If you think President Obama is going to be gay friendly, you are wrong. He courted the gay vote, and he got it, but nothing is going to change for gay people.

Were still Republicans and will remain that way. Our son isnt going through any kind of phase, and its not incomprehensible that hes a Republican. There are many gay Republicanstheyre just not vocal--and theyre not self loathing either, a name many will call them. They dont relate to the Democratic agenda, plain and simple. And they dont want to be part of any kind of gay lifestyle. They just happen to be gay, but dont relate to gay promiscuity and the lifestyle that is promoted. I find more Democrats to be bigoted than Republicans.

The high STD and HIV rate among gay men in the US has nothing to do with President Bush. It has to do with irresponsible people. You play, you pay. All you have to do is read many of the questions on here and see what's going on.

People want their fun, and then the next day regret what they did the night before.

Charles

Hello again Charles,

You won't be angry Republicans like many Democrats???? What does that mean? I don't know any Democrats that are "angry Republicans," but I certainly know plenty of pissed off GOPers! For instance, try watching Fox News anytime they need to mention Obama.

". . . Nothing is going to change for gay people . . . ."??? WHAT??? Have you seen the massive demonstrations resulting from Prop 8 passing? Marriage equality is definitely coming.

Considering your son is gay, which obviously you remain very conflicted about, I'm amazed you still harbor such negative views of gays and lesbians. Have you ever considered that most of us are very much like your son (except not pretending to be Republican to please Mommy and Daddy)? Gay is not a "lifestyle;" it's a sexual orientation. Gays don't promote promiscuity any more than straights promote rape or child abuse (both of which are far more prevalent in the heterosexual world).

As for "you play, you pay," I agree. However, if indeed you had taken the time to really read this forum, you would see the play and pay phenomenon is equally split between gays and straights.

As for Obama, I'm disappointed he chose Pastor Rick Warren to give the invocation at his inauguration, as Warren is an ardent supporter of Proposition 8 (which Obama opposed). Whether Obama will support equality for all, only time will tell. I remain hopeful.

As for Bush, it's now official: The "W" stands for worst president ever! My opinion of him, the rightwing agenda, your son and your malicious intolerance of all things gay (including your son's innate sexual orientation) remains completely unchanged from my initial post below. I wish you all enlightenment! No need to write back as I won't be posting anymore of your nonsense. This is an HIV/AIDS information forum not a sounding board for someone who's conflicted about their son's sexual orientation. Family counseling might be worthwhile as it seem to me at the moment you have more problems and issues to pick through than the school nurse on lice day.

U.S. Syphilis Rate Grows for 7th Year in Row Mar 29, 2008

Hi Doc, Last week some news came out about about syphilis on the rise, but what I found most disturbing is that it said it is "driven largely by cases among gay and bisexual men."

What is going on to cause this? Granted, it can't kill you but this bug should have been eradicated years ago.

And please don't blame it on George W. Bush. My wife and I and our gay son(HIV neg), are all Republicans!

Charles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080313/hl_hsn/ussyphilisrategrowsfor7thyearinrow;_ylt=As338sD9kbqatDTBi7eaXP_VJRIF

"The syphilis rate among men increased 14 percent from 2006. It was six times higher than the rate among women. Men who have sex with men comprised approximately 64 percent of reported syphilis cases in 2007," he said.

The increase in the syphilis rates among gay and bisexual men is a significant health concern, Weinstock said. "Syphilis, like other STDs [sexually transmitted diseases], can increase the likelihood of HIV transmission two- to five-fold. For individuals already infected with HIV, syphilis can increase viral load, which can accelerate HIV disease progression and the potential for HIV transmission," he said.

Hello Charles,

It is indeed true that syphilis is on the rise and that there is both an increased incidence and prevalence in men who have sex with men. There are many potential underlying reasons for this, including a decreased use of safer sexual practices resulting from "condom fatigue" and yep! you guessed it: Dubya's catastrophic abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education initiatives. The abstinence-only curriculum talks only about condom failures. It does not mention the scientifically proven reality that appropriately used condoms prevent both STDs and unwanted pregnancies. Also Bush's sex-phobic, science-phobic policies have had a disastrous effect on many targeted STD-prevention programs. When's the last time you saw an ad for condoms on network TV? Bush's policies have not created more rosy-cheeked virgins, but rather more STDs. The annual rate of new HIV infections, which has been stable for the past 15 years, is now going to be revised upward by as much as 50%!

I must also mention I find it somewhat sad that you and your wife, having a gay son, would still support the Republican agenda. You do realize Republicans do not believe your son should get married, adopt children or have equal rights. And they are actively trying to write this bigotry and discrimination into the Constitution of the United Sates! Finally, as for your gay son also being a Republican, well, I find it incomprehensible and can only hope it's only a phase he's going through. (perhaps a way of gaining or ensuring parental support?) and that enlightenment is just around the corner.

I was place on PEP after oral exposure
Pre-Cum/HIV/ and PEP