Contracted MRSA and Herpes from being rimmed

To Dr. Bob,

On May 31st, 2007 I went to a Massage Parlour where I received oral sex with saran wrap on my penis for about a minute and then was rimmed by the prostitute while I masturbated until I finished. I was extremely nervous afterwards and went home and washed thoroughly. There was a cut around my anus from my girlfriend niking me while she rubbed down there previous. About 2 weeks later I had a fever, pus, and sores around my anus. I went to my primary care and she suspected herpes and MRSA. I also went to my Dermatologist who confirmed both. In June 2007 I got tested for HIV and tested negative. In July, I was tested by blood for Herpes and this came back positive for HSV 1. My girlfriend (now wife)was also tested in August 2007 for Herpes and HIV, the herpes came back positive for HSV 1 and HIV negative. I then got tested by a swab to my penis for other std's and they came back negative. My dermatologist also swabbed my nose and no MRSA was present. By September of 2007 the MRSA was all cleared up and I received another HIV antibody test by blood from my Primary care on Sept 19 2007 and this was negative. In early January 2008 I got tested again for HIV and this was negative. I then got tested in April of 2008 any May 31 2008 for HIV and these antibody tests were also negative.

My concern is this happend when I was 23 going to be 24, and now I am 25 and still not sure whether or not I conclusively do not have HIV. My girlfriend (now wife) has also been retested for HIV in early MAY 2008 and she was also negative.

I have been only with my wife (since this incident) and according to her (which I truly believe) she has only been with me during the 6 plus years we have been together. I am still very concerned as I have neck pains, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, pink eye, various pains throughout body, head aches, pain in groin, sides of body, unexplained rashes, on and off till this very day of 12/14/2008. Me and my wife continue to have unprotected sex (oral, rimming, fingering etc...)throughout this whole time...even though we have been completely monogomous with one another since my incident on May 31st 2007.

I am very concerned about and have questions with regards to the following: 1. Could HIV not show up on the antibody tests yet due to exposure to Herpes 1 and MRSA at same time?

2. Could the chronic herpes outbreaks every two months in the anus region (easily cured by valtrex after couple of days) indicate HIV?

3. Is herpes a chronic condition? Is it an immune suppressing condition?

4. Could the mark (hole) by my anus from the MRSA indicate anything?

5. I get tested at my primary care physician's office and this is sent out to a lab....could these samples which mostly sit over the weekend be contaminated and not produce the accurate results?

6. Is my immune system taking longer to produce antibodies to HIV due to the dual exposure of MRSA and herpes?

Thanks in advance Dr. Bob, this website and your foundation is doing great things....I am a fortunate individual economically speaking and plan on contributing a great amount to further your admirable cause.

If you could respond as soon as you could as it would be helpful, cause I am still verry worried and am wondering if I should go see a infectious disease doctor, go directly to the lab to get tested, or get a pcr test....not sure.....thanks again.

The massage parlor used Saran wrap on your Mr. Happy? Hmm . . . I'm glad they are adhering to safer sex principles, but when a sex worker, I mean massage technician, doesn't have a supply of latex condoms on hand and needs to resort to items found on aisle three at the local Piggly Wiggly, it's usually not a good prognostic sign.

No doubt your anal nick put you at risk for MRSA and possibly HSV as well. These types of infections are much easier to acquire than HIV. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to one year from the time of your massage sexperience are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. No. If you were HIV infected, the HIV-antibody tests would have been positive. Having MRSA and HSV-1 would not affect the accuracy of these tests or the duration of the "window period."

2. Your HIV-antibody tests are definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative. Consequently, your recurrent herpetic outbreaks are not related. No way. No how. By the way, if they recur that frequently, you should consider chronic suppression therapy taken on a daily basis rather than just treating the outbreaks.

3. Yes, it is a chronic condition. However, it does not suppress the immune system.

4. This is most likely just a healed defect in the skin caused by the infection (indented scar tissue).

5. No. Your physician's office and the laboratory know how to handle specimens to assure the results remain accurate.

6. No, absolutely not.

Your worries about unrecognized or delayed HIV are unwarranted. No doubt this entire experience was psychologically terrifying for you and this may account for some of your symptoms and persistent fears of being HIV infected. However, I can assure you that you dodged the HIV bullet. No further HIV tests are warranted. Whatever is causing your ongoing symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: it's not HIV! Your general internist (general medical doctor) should be able to help you sort out any persistent symptoms.

Thank you for your willingness to make a donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Please accept my heartfelt appreciation for your desire to help those whose lives have been shattered by the AIDS pandemic.

Be well. Stay well.

Donated and odd 101 ...thank you for good service
Follow up - KS on the bottom of foot