One more time for luck

Hi Doc,

I know I have asked this a few times but thought I would try one more time. I know you are really busy and I appreciate all the time and effort you put in already to answer so many questions with such honesty and compassion. I am sure there are literally thousands.

I have eczema on my foot, which flared up on a trip to Mexico and the end of my toe split open. What is the chance of getting infected through this break in the skin if it came into contact with semen that may have been on the floor in a private booth in a strip club or bath house. No sex of any kind took place - no oral, anal, masturbation, kissing. It was simply me having this open wound on the floor walking through a dark room, steam room etc. and possible ejaculate on the floor and well not liking the environment and leaving.

In terms of the cut - it was not bleeding or seeping or anything and had split open earlier that day .... it was just dry and cracked. Does this mean it was potentially sealed sufficiently to provide a barrier? The next day it did sting in the ocean a bit and was quite dry and cracked and hurt to walk a bit until I treated it with some cortisone cream, but again it looked split open and pink, but still dry and not wet or seeping. This severity was not seen the day before.

Thank you so much for all your work for us worried wells - I would really appreciate an answer Doctor.

Many thanks Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

Your worries are unwarranted. See below. If my reassurance is not enough for you to shed your worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. This should put any residual (and unwarranted) HIV worries permanently to rest.

Be well.

HIV survival outside body in steam room Dec 12, 2003

Doctor,

I was in a steam room at a bath house and had a cut on my foot. I am now concerned that I may have stepped in semen on the floor. (I did not see it but it was slippery). Do you think that there is significant survival of HIV in this kind of wet warm environment that may more closely resemble the conditions inside the human body? THanks

You think the inside of your body closely resembles a bath house's wet warm steam room full of spunk freshly spurted from glistening muscle-bound jock studs? Those are just visions in your sex-crazed mind, not at all similar to your internal blood, bones, and guts.

So what about that slippery steam room floor? Relax, HIV does not survive very long outside the body, no matter if it's a sex steam room or church confessional. The sign that's posted, advising "Caution! Slippery when wet." Is not referring to HIV transmission.

Stay well.

HIV
A simple question