Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv risk from lancet?
Dec 11, 2008

Dear Dr.

I have heard about you on another forum, and people say you are an expert on the HIV topic and our answers are never wrong.

I am male, 30 living in the U.K for 3 years. I had a one off encounter with a CSW in London, had a condom malfunction, and then had an HIV panick.

tested (using the HIV duo test at 28 days, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks) all negative.

also have been tested for other std's at 8 and 12 weeks, all negative.

on the 9th week, i went for a rapid test at a different clinic in london. just to be sure that their test also shows negative.

it was a abbott determine hiv 1/2 antibody test.

I was not paying attention to the precise sequence of events being done by the dr. as i was too busy praying.

it went like this...

1) doc shows me sealed test pack, i examine it (thats how i know it was determine).

2) doc opens the test pack, and pricks me with a needle on my index finger. a quick prick - at this point i was not noticing where the needle came from.

3) a drop of blood came out, dr. used a glass capillary tube to suck it in,

4) dr. said not enough blood, so began to press the finger real real hard, finally a few more drops were collected.

5) fifteen minutes later i was told it was negative.

The thing which has me worried sick is was the needle that was used to prick me sterile? is there a possibiliy that a clinic in London could reuse a pricking device?

In panick i got another DUO test done 30 days after this testing episode, which was negtive (this would make it week 14 since the original episode)

can i move on? was i at any risk of getting hiv during this rapid test procedure, and even if so, is the duo test at 30 days post the episode conclusive?

please help me, as i do not want to relive the entire three month nightmare again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'll be brief, as this is a QTND (question that never dies) that has an ATNC (answer that never changes).

1. Is there a possibility that a clinic in London (or anywhere) would reuse a pricking device for HIV testing? No, absolutely not.

2. Can you move on? Dude, you should have been in motion long ago. Stop testing. Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Noise in ears
Next
TEST REPORT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.