hiv risk from lancet?
Dec 11, 2008
I have heard about you on another forum, and people say you are an expert on the HIV topic and our answers are never wrong.
I am male, 30 living in the U.K for 3 years. I had a one off encounter with a CSW in London, had a condom malfunction, and then had an HIV panick.
tested (using the HIV duo test at 28 days, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks) all negative.
also have been tested for other std's at 8 and 12 weeks, all negative.
on the 9th week, i went for a rapid test at a different clinic in london. just to be sure that their test also shows negative.
it was a abbott determine hiv 1/2 antibody test.
I was not paying attention to the precise sequence of events being done by the dr. as i was too busy praying.
it went like this...
1) doc shows me sealed test pack, i examine it (thats how i know it was determine).
2) doc opens the test pack, and pricks me with a needle on my index finger. a quick prick - at this point i was not noticing where the needle came from.
3) a drop of blood came out, dr. used a glass capillary tube to suck it in,
4) dr. said not enough blood, so began to press the finger real real hard, finally a few more drops were collected.
5) fifteen minutes later i was told it was negative.
The thing which has me worried sick is was the needle that was used to prick me sterile? is there a possibiliy that a clinic in London could reuse a pricking device?
In panick i got another DUO test done 30 days after this testing episode, which was negtive (this would make it week 14 since the original episode)
can i move on? was i at any risk of getting hiv during this rapid test procedure, and even if so, is the duo test at 30 days post the episode conclusive?
please help me, as i do not want to relive the entire three month nightmare again.
Response from Dr. Frascino
I'll be brief, as this is a QTND (question that never dies) that has an ATNC (answer that never changes).
1. Is there a possibility that a clinic in London (or anywhere) would reuse a pricking device for HIV testing? No, absolutely not.
2. Can you move on? Dude, you should have been in motion long ago. Stop testing. Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- What Vaginal Infections Does Metronidazole Treat?
- Can You Have Aids And Test Hiv Negative?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.