Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oraquick Mindwhack
Dec 11, 2008

Hey Doc...I wrote you a couple of years ago...High Risk Guy was my handle. Your insight and encouragement helped me through a tough time. I have kept up with you and this forum...congratulations on getting married and heave-hoing (?) the Bush disaster. My question: I heard and read (here and elsewhere) that there were some questions about the accuracy of the Oraquick oral rapid advance test (gum swab version) due to some bullshite up in Seattle. Can you update me/us on the status of that test? Is it still reliable? Can I still feel good about my test from May 2006 (which I had eight months after possible exposure)? I have been moving forward in a well-lived life, but would like to get this pesky mindwhack out of the way. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Welcome back to the forum! Thanks for the congratulations. As for Dubya, January 20th can't get here soon enough!

Can you believe your negative OraQuick Advance test? Yes, I believe you can. The FDA is investigating the accuracy of the test, but the questions centers on the rate of false positives rather than the rate of false negatives.

An assessment of OraQuick Advance was performed between February and October 2007, which included 849 adults who visited the emergency department at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. Of the 849 adults consenting to rapid HIV tests, 39 were found to be reactive (positive). Of those 39 with positive results, 31 agreed to confirmatory testing. Just five have positive confirmatory tests! This rate of false positives is considerably higher than what is suggested by the test's manufacturer. Some researchers recommend the "addition of HIV RNA testing to the confirmatory algorithm for rapid HIV screening tests in the United States."

You can read about the Seattle situation in the archives, as I've discussed it several times.

The bottom line for you is that your negative test should be considered a true negative. If your "pesky mindwhack" persists despite my reassurances, you could get an ELISA. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Your WOO-HOO is secure, OK?

Be well. (You are indeed well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
I donated !!! hepl me for the last time
Next
Noise in ears

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.