Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Needle Stick
Dec 11, 2008

I recently was stuck with a needle at work. I was taken to the emergency room, where they did a HIV, hep b and hep c test. I was negative for hep b and c, but he said my HIV test was inconclusive, he said that a 0 is negative a 1 is inconclusive and a 2 is positive. He said I got a 1. I have been tested in the past, about 4 years ago, I was negative, and have had the same partner since and I have none of the risk factors. I am still very concerned and worried. What are the other causes of a inconclusive test? They say pregant women can test inconclusive and I am on the depo birth control shot, could that cause this test result? Or could I have have an auto-imune disease? Should I be worried?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Birth control therapies do not affect HIV test results. It is extremely unlikely you would have an autoimmune disease that you didn't know about!

There are a variety of causes for indeterminate HIV-antibody tests. You can read about these in detail in the archives of this forum. (I'll repost below an example of what is in the archives.)

If your HIV risks are essentially nonexistent, you should not be concerned about your indeterminate test result. I would recommend a repeat test to start. If you continue to test indeterminate, a qualitative DNA PCR may be helpful in sorting out your status. You'll also need follow-up HIV tests at the three- and six-month marks (from the time of the occupational needlestick exposure). Latex condoms should be used with your partner until your negative status is confirmed. You might also consider hepatitis B vaccination as a preventative measure against future accidental exposures if you work in a health care setting.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Indeterminate Feb 9, 2005

It has been 6 months since possible exposure and I took a home access test. I received an indeterminate result. I am terrified. Do you know what tes method they use and what may be some of the reasons for this result?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Once again, the answer to your question has been waiting for you in the archives! Check it out!

Briefly, Home Access uses a double EIA with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%. There are a variety of reasons for indeterminate test results, including:

1. tests taken during the process of seroconversion

2. cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies

3. HIV vaccine recipients

4. technical or clerical errors

The most important factor in evaluating an indeterminate test result is the risk assessment. Those at low risk with indeterminate tests are almost never infected with HIV-1 or HIV-2. Your next step is to repeat your HIV test.

Don't be terrified. An indeterminate does not automatically mean you're positive. OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Question of all questions Aids (ORIGIN OF HIV/AIDS 2008)
Next
Vaccine to Inhibit HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.