Nate again--left PB&J unattended, possibly blood sauced?

Hey Dr. Bob, Hope you had a terrific thanksgiving! Happy holidays! I plan to donate to your foundation for your generous answer to my last question. thank you for (partially) putting my fears of virologic doorknobs to rest. Unfortunately, my overactive hypochondriacal mind has spawned another mental reaper to antagonize me. I went to school the other day, and I left my lunch in the car for three hours of so. Now usually, I lock the doors to my car, but for some reason, when I went to eat my lunch, I couldn't remember whether I had to unlock the car door or not! So there was about a 10 percent chance the car door was unlocked while my sandwich sat in the parking lot, exposed for all the world to fiddle with. Suppose, just for argument's sake, that a hipster hoodlum or hooligan from the hood approached my car looking to steal something, found it unlocked, and was so distressed about his HIV positive status that he wanted to share his misery with me? what if he bled himself right between my welch's jam and skippy smooth for a little unwanted zest? Now the wildcard here is that it was at least ten minutes between getting to my car and eating my sandwich, and the car was in view of classroom windows, perhaps hindering even the most ambitious and reckless of miscreants. In the middle of eating it, I realized with dawning horror the possibility and began scarfing down ginger ale and potato chips to try to wash down and dilute any infected sero-sauce. In your opinion, do you think this would have been effective in preventing transmission? I religiously checked for sores and cuts in my mouth and found none (phew). But, I know that blood wouldn't have dried between the bread because it was not exposed to air, possibly keeping the virus alive. I know this risk is very low and you have other more legitimate letters to read, so I'll end this narrative here. I apologize if similar quesions have been asked before,but I can't help but think my situation is differen (more realistic). And keep in mind the door was probably locked in the first place, rendering this whole shebang obsolete. yeah, I'm in college and should be smarter than to do a dumbass thing like this by now. but for now, I've got a severe case of "fraids" on top of my other mental quirks. now I must push my 3 month test back. Thanks Bobalicious. Donation to follow. Nate on the East Coast

Hello Nate,

Back again so soon??? That's a bad sign! Nate, please refer to my response to your December 2, 2008 questions. Now replace "non-bleeding booboo and virologic doorknobs" with "unattended PB&J sandwich" and you'll have my answer to your current questions. Also, considering the outlandish nature of your concerns, I also recommend you seek some counseling to help you cope with your totally irrational and completely unwarranted HIV fears. Without such help you my soon be worrying about contracting the virus from me via the Internet!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org)

Happy Thankschristkwanzaakah.

cut on finger + virologic doorknobs = hypochondriac worried well Dec 2, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

First I want to say that you are a model for all of us to live by. You were infected helping someone and now continue to fight just as hard to help your own cause and help the rest of us not to meet the same fate. You have a lot of good karma directed your way and I have total faith that you will live a long, happy life and that you will be an integral part of finding a cure someday (not to mention that my eyes have been watering reading your hilarious responses). Don't listen to those gap-toothed, gun-toting, limbaugh-loving, southern foothill-dwelling christian fundamentalists who don't respect you--you are a hundred times better than them and more a saint in God's eyes than they could ever be.

I'm sorry if this question is asked a lot, but I am a hypochondriac and I was helping a neighbor move the other day. the epidermis of my index finger got scraped raw in a tiny area. the next day I went to school and forgot to bandage or neosporin my booboo and I was walking around all day touching doorknobs at the school with the same finger that was still raw from the day before (although it was long past the bleeding stage). I want to know what my chances are of being infected, say someone jerked off in the bathroom and didn't clean up and I touched a doorknob or bled and was careless about it (although I never entered a bathroom thank God). It would have come in direct contact with the wound! Please Dr. Bob I hope I'm not being disrespectful to you and others who fight this disease everyday with your chin up, and I know my chances are slim, but could you give me a percentage chance? I'm thinking of arranged a NAT or a PCR test with Labcorp at 28 days because I don't think I can bear to wait 3 months. Should I? I value your expert opinion and will follow whatever you advice.

Much Thanks and good karma, Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your very kind comments.

Regarding the HIV risk from your non-bleeding booboo and "virologic doorknobs" at school, your HIV-acquisition risk is exactly zero! Yep, that's right: zero, zip, nada, bupkis! If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Nate, HIV testing is not warranted for medical reasons. However, if my reassurances are not enough for you to shake your (unwarranted) worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. NAT and/or PCR are not recommended for routine screening due to the rate of false-positive tests.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well!)

hep b and HIV
I'm not convinced my BF got HIV from me.