Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Protected sex but feeling unstable
Dec 8, 2008

Hi, Dr.

I am having a really crazy anxiety even if I used a condom.

I was in China for a 2 weeks business trip and had protected sex with a chinese sex worker. I was a little drunken at the time but remember I had condom on when I had vaginal sex. I was not able to ejaculate with condom on so I don't know if the condom was broken or not. I washed up my penis and then took another new condom and had vaginal sex. I wasn't able to ejacualte again. So she was performing oral on me after taking off the condom while I was only doing fingering on vagina. I didn't find any wounds or cut in my skin. I wasn't able to ejaculate again. After 3 days, I was having a minor ache around my penis but the next day the ache was gone but had muscle ache in my body, especially leg areas.(still having it these days, lasts more than 2 weeks) I was so freaked out when I found out the muscle ache is the one of the symptoms of ARS. A week after the event, I don't know if food or water in china was bad, I was having diaharrea on that day. About 2 weeks after, I don't know if I had this rash-like little spots on my skin, but still not going away these days. And recently I am having minor night sweats, but no fever. I am having too much stress right now and do you think these are serious symptoms?

I will absolutely donate to your center. Thanks, Doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You freaked out when you found out "muscle ache is one of the symptoms of ARS?" Hmm . . . headache is one of the symptoms of terminal brain cancer. Do you freak out every time you get a headache? Cough is a symptom of lung cancer. Do you freak out every time you cough? You report: "I am having too much stress right now . . . I'm having a really crazy anxiety even if I used a condom." I absolutely agree! Your problems are stress, anxiety and irrational fears of being HIV infected. Condom-protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex (or polyurethane) condoms are used properly and do not fail (break).

If you remain worried (and clearly you are), get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative. However, if by taking the test you can put all your residual fears permanently to rest, the psychological benefit will be worth the effort.

Good luck. Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Confused by yesterdays response!
Next
Viral load after vaccinations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.