Confused by yesterdays response!

Dr. Bob I have a follow up question!

You said yesterday that my 12 week NEGATIVE oraquick finger prick was conclusive, with the exception of extentuating circumstances.

What exactly does that mean? What would an extentuating circumstance be?

Also, why didnt you give me a woooohooooo? Are you sure my 12 week Oraquick Finger Prick NEGATIVE test is indeed ok? Am I HIV Negative?

Confused!

Thanks Again, I have donated in the past and will certainly continue! You and one other charity are the only ones I donate too!

False-negative tests on any type of HIV-antibody screening are rare. (See below.)

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing.

Thanks for your continued support of the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.

Happy Healthy Holidays.

Scared and worried about HIV infection Mar 21, 2008

I had unprotected anal sex with a HIV positive person. I was the insertive partner.

I was tested at 12 weeks and re-tested at 16 weeks on a HIV antibody/antigen test. both tests were negative. I am highly worried that i have HIV and have not produced antibodies. what i would like to know is this....Can you have HIV and not have antibodies produced? what factors would stop you from producing antibodies. I know these questions have probably been asked millions of times but i just was my post posted and answered so i can feel better. P.S i am in Australia and the doctors told me that 3 months is conclusive.

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson from this entire experience: unprotected sex isn't worth the worry and the risk!

Regarding HIV-screening tests, the vast majority of those infected with HIV will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four-six weeks. For significant confirmed HIV exposures (partner documented to be HIV positive), the current U.S. guidelines recommend testing at the three-month mark and, if negative, repeating the test at six months for a conclusive and definitive result. I know that Australia and several other locales have issued guidelines with shorter window periods. This is due primarily to the availability of new testing assays that allow detection of anti-HIV antibodies somewhat earlier, thereby shortening the window period.

Is it possible to be HIV positive, but still test HIV-antibody negative? Yes, this would be a "false negative" test result. Causes for false-negative HIV tests include testing during the window period (the time before seroconversion), agammaglobulinemia, Type N or O strains, HIV-2 and technical or clerical errors. Overall, causes of false-negative HIV tests are exceedingly rare. Are your week-12 and week-16 negative HIV tests false-negatives? Nope! I suggest you stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing. If you want the U.S. guidelines level of certainty, you can repeat your HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark.

Be well. Stay well.

MASTURBATION AND EYE FLOATERS
Protected sex but feeling unstable