Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you?
Dec 7, 2008

Answer this?

Hi Doc,

I know your stance on testing, i.e. symptoms mean nothing and the only test you need is an Elisa at 3 months.

But, I got an email from the CDC saying that a PCR test is accurate 9-11 days post exposure (this info is also on their website).

From the archives, I gather that a PCR test is not used to detect HIV due to its cost, technical considerations in performing the test, and rate of false positives.

What about rate of false negatives? Have you ever come across any situation where the PCR test was a false negative? Would a PCR test be positive only if symptoms were present (or could it be positive even before ARS symptoms manifested)?

Finally, who do we believe? The CDC says one thing, someone else says another, etc. etc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The CDC and I do not disagree on this point! False-negative tests with PCR technology are rare, especially compared to false-positive tests. A properly performed PCR can detect HIV infection well before anti-HIV antibodies are detectable in the blood. The "9-11 days post exposure" is not standardized from test to test or from laboratory to laboratory. In spite of this information, I must point out PCR testing is not routinely available around the globe. Due to the rate of false positives, other technical considerations and cost, it is not recommended for routine HIV screening. At this point in time, the most accurate and cost-effective screening remains an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The CDC guidelines and recommendations for routine HIV screening remain unchanged and corroborate my views.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Another from the badda bing!
Next
Raltegravir & Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.