Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV anxiety?
Nov 30, 2008

So here it goes doc, I was at the super market yesterday. I needed to buy bourbon for a dish I was making. I reached for a bottle way at the bottom and my thumb and index finger touched some sticky substance. I quickly wiped my hands on my jeans and pulled out an antibacterial wet nap and cleaned my fingers. I have no visible cuts on my fingers, an I know out of the millions of things that sticky stuff could have been, the first thing I thought was HIV infected blood. The wet nap was not red or anything after I wiped my hands, but whatever it was got on my dark brown coat and I know on my thumb and index. Is there ny need to worry. I'm not sure if it's just anxiety, I panicked and left the store. I'm so worried. Again, no VISIBLE cuts on those fingers. I know it's far-fetched to think someone with HIV beld all over a bottle of bourbon and then I picked it up and it was sooo sticky. Maybe the alcohol leaked and dreid and got sticky... I don't know. Ok, I'm rabbling and sounding like a psycho. I feel like an uneducated college student asking, but please help. I already sent a donation even if you don't answer...just for all of you selfless help to others. Take care, be well!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"OK. I'm rabbling and sounding like a psycho." Yep! I agree! (Even though I have no idea what "rabbling" is.) Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. Your fears are unwarranted and frankly quite irrational. If your "HIV anxiety" has reached such heights, you might consider counseling to help you confront these fears. Alternatively, you'll need lots of bourbon on hand to steady your nerves every time you touch something sticky. And that really isn't recommended.

Thanks for the donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. I'll toast your good health with a bourbon on the rocks, OK?

Be well. (Yes, indeed you are well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
panic attack, risky or not?!?!?!
Next
CONCERNED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.