Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Survival of hiv in wine in a refrigirator
Nov 30, 2008

Dr. BOb, My question is kind of related to a question you answered before concerning hiv survival in a refrigirator. I happened to have a misunderstanding with someone hiv positive. We share the same apartment. She knows I like drinking red wine a lot. Before our misunderstanding, my red wine got finished but by the time I returned from school, she bought a fresh bottle of red wine, opened it and drank a bit out of it. When I got home, and saw the wine, I thought she bought it as a sign that our misunderstanding was over, so I filled a glass with the wine without a second though and drank ONE gulp. Then it immediately occured to me that she was mesntrating. Here are my questions. 1) Given the chance that she could have thought to infect me with by putting drops of her menstral blood in the wine, how long will the virus in the blood/wine combination inside that scenario survive inside the refrigirator? 2) With just the single gulp, what are my chances of infection if actually she did spill her menstral blood in the wine? Thanks for finding the time to reply. Really worried

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Really Worried,

I see several very worrisome things in your post!

1. You claim your flatmate was "mesntrating." What's that? Sounds painful.

2. You're concerned your flatmate with whom you had a "misunderstanding" would vindictively put some of her menstrual blood into a bottle of red wine in the refrigerator and assume you would drink some of it and subsequently become HIV infected!?!? My, my, my, that must have been some "misunderstanding" you two had for her to go to all that trouble. If she wanted to plant you six feet under, why wouldn't she just put poisonous scorpions in your bed or push you off the roof or run over you with her Subaru?

3. Perhaps most shocking of all, I can't believe either you or your flatmate would keep red wine in the refrigerator!!! It's meant to be stored and consumed at room temperature!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Donation for an Answer
Next
panic attack, risky or not?!?!?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.