The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is there treatment for someone who just had unprotected sex with hiv person?

Nov 27, 2008

is there any preventive treatment for someone who just had sex with a positive person?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Yes, it's called PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). It's most effective if started as soon as possible after exposure and it is not recommended if more than 72 hours have elapsed since exposure. You can read much more about PEP in the archives. Have a look!

Dr. Bob

worried and pregnant
Impaired / Non production of Antibodies.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint