Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

[ insert clever/interesting title here ]
Nov 27, 2008

Dr. Bob, Thank you for all of your responses. You have no idea how much better you make me feel everytime I hear from you. Has anyone told you lately how amazing you are?

I have a quick question. I tend to get very anxious whenever I am in a crowded place, or surrounded by a lot of people - young or old. It used to be only due to my chlostraphobia, but it has now turned into "Is a fluid coming off of them somehow went into my eye or mouth?" Absolutely crazy, I know.

My question is, would I feel a fluid go into my eye? Particularly if it was an amount of fluid that was significant to cause infection? I know the risk of transmission through eye/mouth contact is low, but I still worry about this too frequently. Your answer may really help with my concerns though - as I'm not sure whether or not I would feel it.

Also, I went out to eat tonight and there was some sort of fluid on the wall of the booth we were in. I tried to avoid getting near it or even looking at it, but couldn't help it since my friend was right next to me in the booth. I definitely did not touch it and even pushed my used glass up to it to try and cover a part of it up (it was spread over a fairly large portion of the wall). It didn't look like blood, but it was a green wall, so the color was hard to distinguish. It looked more like a sticky, "goo-ey" liquid. It was not dripping, but rather staying in one place. My guess was snot? Eww. Something being on the wall, can't jump out at you and infect you...right?

Didn't seem to change in appearance at all while we were there, either. Including, drying - which makes me think even more that it wasn't blood?

Thank you for taking your time to read this. I hope to hear from you!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Have you been adding crazy powder to your protein shakes again? Fluids coming off people and going into your eye or mouth unnoticed??? Yep, that's crazy all right. Absolutely whacko!

As for the gooey sticky icky on the wall, please rest assured that HIV can't jump, fly, mambo or cha-cha-cha its way through the air.

I think it may be time for you to visit your shrink again.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You
Next
I think you must hate me by now?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.