Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS Symptoms
Nov 26, 2008

Dear Doc Bob,

My sincerest congratulations on your recent marriage. May your union be blessed & filled with happiness for many many years!

I can't help but look up to your noble efforts in advising perhaps tons of people. I've read through most of your advises & have learned a lot from you. Going straight to my query, you've advised a lot of worried folks that their symptoms are "not worrisome of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS)." I'd like to shoot the question: what exactly are symptoms which you will advise as "worrisome" of ARS? In case there are any historical posts answering this query, would you be kind enough to guide me & perhaps others who might have the same question in mind?

Many thanks & God bless us all!

-Worry Wart

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes.

Regarding ARS symptoms, see below.

Dr. Bob

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS? Nov 15, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi there. I've been reading through many of the postings in this forum. Most of the people who write-in are labeled "worried wells" and you tell them that their symptoms are not consistent with the true symptoms of ARS.

I was wondering if you could share with us what you believe the true symptoms of ARS to be. I've found lots of websites describing them, but I want to hear it from a reputable and definitive source such as yourself.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Sure, just check the archives. I've discussed this many times before. I'll repost below just one of the questions that addresses the signs and symptoms associated with primary HIV infection.

Stay well. Be informed, not worried, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Me again! Aug 14, 2005

Hi DOc,

You responded to my initial question a few weeks back - thank you so much. You also responded to my partner who was recently diagnosed positive - that was so helpful. Incidentally, I think it was the first time he used a computer in his life - so you achieved more than I have with him there!

Anyway, sorry to bother you again - its now 8 / 9 weeks since my last exposure - I think I am imagining swollen glands all the time! Could you kindly answer two small questions. Firstly, how long after infection do people normally get ARS and symptoms? Secondly, what symmptoms are characteristic?

Thankyou for helping. My partner is being really strong - andw e will get through this together, I love that american term worry well - yes I am a british one of those, sorry!! xx

Hi Brit-Boy,

You're welcome!

Chances are you are indeed "imagining" swollen glands all the time. Regarding ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks of contracting the virus. Sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks. It is called a syndrome (Acute Retroviral Syndrome), because it is a collection of symptoms that can be extremely variable form person to person. In fact, symptoms alone are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. It is estimated that 40-90% of acutely infected folks will have some ARS symptoms. But to specifically answer your question, the following is a list of symptoms associated with ARS and the percentage of time the symptoms are present:

Fever 96%

Adenopathy 74%

Pharyngitis 70%

Rash 70%

Myalgias 54%

Headache 32%

Diarrhea 32%

Nausea or vomiting 27%

Hepatosplenomegaly 14%

Thrush 12%

Neurologic symptoms 12%

The duration of symptoms is generally 1-3 weeks.

Regarding your lover's use of the computer, now that he's discovered the wonders of Internet look out!!!! He just may get so hooked that the only way you'll be able to converse with him is via IM-ing!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Are you ok?
Next
Could Hep A&B Vaccination Cause False Negative HIV Antibody Test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.