The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnant wife - window period

Nov 26, 2008

Dr Bob At a massage parlour the worker put my thumb in her mouth and cut my thumb on her teeth.

Was a bit freaked by this and called the sexual health center. Told me not to worry about it. No need to test no need to stop having relations with my wife.

All good. Started to get diarreah at week +9. Have seen stomach specialist but still can't figure out what is going on.

Freaked out. Had HIV test at 12 weeks with family Dr (negative). Dr's view is that is conclusive and that I had little or no risk in first place. Still very concerned as had sex with wife and she is pregant.

Dr said if the diarriah was hiv related would have come back positive. Is this correct in your view? Also, enquired with Dr about viral load testing and was told such testing was not appropriate and not necessary. Very concerned about possible transmission to wife and unborn baby (due in 7 weeks). In circumstances would you recommend some form of viral load testing? If so what kind of test should I be seeking?

Thanks for your help. Will make donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I agree with everything you've been told by the health center and your doctors. Your risk is essentially nonexistent; your symptoms are not HIV-related; and your 12-week HIV test is conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional tests (including PCR viral loads) are recommended.

Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.

Dr. Bob

hiv+ blood in mouth
Are you ok?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint