PEP for yesterday's oral experience- please respond b4 too late

Hi Dr.,

I had an experience yesterday with a married man- we engaged in oral (I was the receptive partner) for a very short amount of time. He had slight pre-cum but continued to wipe it off during the experience (and he did not climax). I have a slight sore throat and chapped lips so I assume that my throat is probably a bit more receptive to any infections.

He confirmed that he is safe and std free before we started but I was wondering if I should seek post-exposure treatment. I checked my mouth and didnt see any open sores and even though my lips were chapped- there were was no cracking or bleeding.

I am really freaking out because I take my sexual health very seriously and now I fear that I put myself in a very bad position.

Any thoughts are so appreciated! Please advise on how you would proceed.

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. Your brief oral sex episode with a married guy of unknown HIV status would not qualify, even with your "slight sore throat and chapped lips." You can read much more about PEP and its indications in the archives. Have a look!

If you remain worried about HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. By the way, we have an entire chapter in the archives dedicated to oral sex.

Unprotected oral sex while I had a cough
PEP after one night stand