The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP for yesterday's oral experience- please respond b4 too late

Nov 26, 2008

Hi Dr.,

I had an experience yesterday with a married man- we engaged in oral (I was the receptive partner) for a very short amount of time. He had slight pre-cum but continued to wipe it off during the experience (and he did not climax). I have a slight sore throat and chapped lips so I assume that my throat is probably a bit more receptive to any infections.

He confirmed that he is safe and std free before we started but I was wondering if I should seek post-exposure treatment. I checked my mouth and didnt see any open sores and even though my lips were chapped- there were was no cracking or bleeding.

I am really freaking out because I take my sexual health very seriously and now I fear that I put myself in a very bad position.

Any thoughts are so appreciated! Please advise on how you would proceed.

Response from Dr. Frascino


PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. Your brief oral sex episode with a married guy of unknown HIV status would not qualify, even with your "slight sore throat and chapped lips." You can read much more about PEP and its indications in the archives. Have a look!

If you remain worried about HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. By the way, we have an entire chapter in the archives dedicated to oral sex.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Unprotected oral sex while I had a cough
PEP after one night stand

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint