THANK YOU (Re: Is PEP Still Recommended)

Hi Dr Bob

Thank you a million times for your fast response regarding the PEP question that I had. This was about my penis pressing her genital area without going in. I was actually quite surprised by your response, may be I didn't make it clear that for those 5 seconds, I was unprotected. I expected you to say "no PEP, but test". I've also read through archives and the official guidelines. They say that PEP is recommended only when the person is confirmed HIV+. My partner is not confirmed, in fact, I'm 90% sure she is negative. So I've decided not to go for PEP based on that, and also because the unprotected contact was very brief. If I am too far off the base with that assessment, please do yell at me.

Otherwise, thank you for your support and commitment. I'll be happy to make my donation, and I consider it money best spent!

You are not off base. In fact, you are right on target. My assessment and advice remain unchanged. (See below.)

Is PEP still recommended? Nov 16, 2008

Hi Dr Bob I have a friend who I know for a year. She has a boyfriend who she goes unprotected with. They both seem reputable. I think she is HIV negative, but can't be 100% sure. A day ago, we had sex with her first time, and I decided to wear a condom. It didn't fail, stayed on all the time, but at some point, the tip of my half-erected penis came in contact with the outer part of her vagina. It pressed for about 5 seconds, didn't go in. I also gave her some oral for a minute. Thinking about it later got me really worried. First, I'm still eligible to go in for PEP, do you think it's recommended? Second off, is testing recommended? Thank you. Really, thank you, greatly appreciate your work.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is so remote it's essentially nonexistent. PEP is certainly not warranted. The primary reason to consider HIV testing would be to put any residual worries (however unwarranted) permanently to rest. I have no doubt the test would be negative.

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

sir medium of charity
a most obvious question but somehow I can find it