The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to do

Nov 15, 2008

Hi doc, I don't know what to do. On sunday night my husband and I made love, he has been HIV positive since last Oct. He is now on meds and is undetectable. after making love we discovered that the condom had broken. He didn't have an orgasm. I went to the emergency room per my dr. office and the er dr. told me there was nothing they could do, he said he couldn't give me any pep because it wouldn't benefit me after 2 hours. Is that true. today is Tuesday and I'm sure it's too late to do anything. I know I'll have to get tested and I will. what is my risk for getting HIV. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The ER physician told you he couldn't give you PEP, because it wouldn't benefit you, since two hours had elapsed since your exposure??? WHAT??? That physician should have his medical license revoked! Contact your husband's HIV specialist or go to another ER immediately. PEP is most effective when begun as soon as possible after an HIV exposure. However, it is recommended up to 72 hours after a significant exposure. You can read much more about PEP and harm-reduction strategies for magnetic couples in the archives. Good luck. I'd also recommend you file a complaint with the hospital about the advice you received from that ER doctor.

Dr. Bob

Hello would you be kind to send your good luck Karma?
Eyes and fatigue

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint