acute HIV or just coincidence?! worried!- please answer!

Dear Doc, I'm a male and had unprotected vaginal sex with an unknown HIV status female I used to work with. The thought of HIV didn't even cross my mind until recently (I was more worried about the pregnancy aspect at the time). Three months after the encounter I developed a cough and overall body ache/ crappy feeling sickness and fever that lasted about a week and turned into bacterial pneumonia (got chest x-rays) which I was put on antibiotics for and cleared up about two-three weeks later. I wasn't sure as to why I would randomly get pneumonia being a healthy 21 year old who doesn't usually get sick. Is there any way this could be because of an HIV infection from three months earlier? I know this is outside the window of time acute HIV usually shows symptoms but I was just really worried about the cause of the illness. Thank you so much for a response and your help- it is greatly appreciated!

-worried

You're a 21 year old dude who has been having unprotected sex and the thought of HIV didn't even cross your mind until recently??? WHAT??? HIV/AIDS has been ravaging the planet for over a quarter of a century, prematurely snuffing out lives (25,000,000 and counting) and the thought of AIDS never even crossed your mind? Might you be another one of Sarah Palin's clueless brood or perhaps a victim of Dubya's abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education classes?

Dude, the bottom line is you had unsafe sex and therefore you put yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, you need to get HIV tested three months or longer after your last potential exposure. You also need to learn how to cover your stump before you hump. Check out the archives of the forum. It has a whole chapter devoted to safer sexual techniques.

Good luck. Wise up. Be safe or be sorry.

When can I stop?
what is the impact of delaying a test?