The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Nov 14, 2008


I' m HIV positive since several years (no treatment, low viral load) and my partner isn't. We have been having sex today and I have been anal fingering my partner. After, we noticed my finger was bleeding. Would you recommend a Pepse treatment? Thank you for your answer. K.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello K.,

"Pepse treatment"? What's that? If your finger was actively bleeding while you were digitally stimulating your negative partner's backdoor, post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP, not Pepse, by the way) may well be warranted. To be most effective, PEP needs to be started as soon as possible after exposure. If greater than 72 hours have elapsed, PEP would no longer be recommended. Consequently, your partner should start PEP ASAP if he is still within the 72-hour window. He should then be followed by an HIV specialist during the 28-day course of PEP. The HIV specialist physician will further document the actual risk, based on many factors, including viral load, amount of bleeding, local trauma, etc. He will also optimize the PEP regimen if needed or advise your partner to discontinue it if it is not warranted. He will evaluate and manage all PEP-related side effects and toxicities as well as any "symptoms" that may evolve during the course of therapy. He will also arrange for and interpret the post-PEP follow-up HIV tests.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

can grinding dance cause any disease if I have ejaculated?
Think imma die soon

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint