Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I really need your advice, DEAD SCARED!
Nov 14, 2008

Hi Dr Bob,

I've known you've helped alot of people and alot of people trust your judgement and advice.

Please help me with this dilemma! :( i fingered a female at my halloween party. She just had her period so she still had blood/drying blood in her vagina.

Now i normally wouldnt mind but 2 things make me feel uneasy. 1) i knew this girl was sexually active, but uses condoms every time and doesnt do oral sex. 2)i had a peeled cuticle on my finger earlier that day, i dont think it bled but it made it very tender and sensitive.

Would i be at risk of any HIV transmission? Would that risk change if it was a deeper would such as a scratch but bleeding as stopped and with or without bloodclotting?

I talked to her today, she said she's never been tested, should i trust her word that she's been protected and clean or should i worry?

please help dr bob, i think its because im paranoid but i could really use your opinion to get rid of my doubts.

Please dr bob, you're the only person whos opinion matters to me!!

PS, i will be donating to your foundation!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dead Scared,

The general guideline is that HIV cannot permeate intact skin. Without being able to examine your "peeled cuticle," I'm unable to advise you if that skin was intact or not. Generally speaking, if the wound was not fresh and/or actively bleeding, your HIV-acquisition risk from finger-fun with a female of unknown HIV serostatus at a Halloween party would be negligible at best.

There are several options at this point. One, you could ask your Trick-or-Treat Gal to get HIV tested. If she's negative, you can breathe a sigh of relief, because then the only risk would involve her being in her "window period." This reduces your already low HIV-acquisition odds significantly more. You could also consider getting HIV tested yourself to put any residual fears permanently to rest. You would need to wait for the three-month mark for these results to be conclusive. I'm confident the result would be negative. A final option is to decide the risk was so low that HIV testing is not warranted. All of these options are valid to me. However, considering you are "dead scared," I'd recommend you get a three-month test for peace of mind.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
We are both +, married and he has a no sex rule take 2
Next
getting back to you Dr. Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.