Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I be scared?
Nov 2, 2008

Three weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a gay bottom who lied about his HIV status. He admitted to me afterwards that he was HIV +... Since I've had four test done bc everytime something little happens I freak out. I'm just wondering is that I something that I should really be freaking out about. My doctor said my risk was low but even a low risk scares me senseless. Is there not a test that I can take sooner that will give me an accurate answer so I can feel better?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Should you be scared? No. However, you certainly should be concerned. The reason for being concerned (and also for getting HIV tested) has nothing to do with symptoms and everything to do with risk! You elected to have unsafe sex. Consequently, you placed yourself at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Why did you only become "scared senseless" when you found out your partner was HIV positive? What if he never leveled with you about his status? You'd still have just as much risk of being infected. Twenty-five percent of the HIV-positive folks in the U.S. have absolutely no idea they are HIV positive! That is why we must assume all our sex partners are potentially HIV positive and therefore take all the necessary precautions to prevent HIV transmission. As for your stud muffin telling you he's HIV negative, I wouldn't trust someone even if they slapped a lie detector on their Mr. Happy as we jumped into bed. Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson by enduring this anxiety-provoking experience: unprotected sex is never worth the potential catastrophic consequences.

As for HIV testing, you should get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. If negative, a repeat test at six months is recommended by the CDC, because you had a significant exposure to a partner confirmed to be HIV positive. Tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be conclusive or definitive. PCR testing is not recommended for routine HIV diagnostic screening, due to the rate of false positives, other technical considerations and cost.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Public Occupation Screening
Next
I have a different problem with hiv test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.