Again, many apologies Dr. Bob

Dear Dr. Bob, not sure if my last message went through, internet problems. I read again my 1st mail to you and I can't even remember writing it, I'm dumbfounded that I would have written such a thing. the next day I went to the ER due to the anxiety of this. I know you will not write back, but I just wanted to express my apologies again, this has been so incredibly stressful, for I fear maybe I could have passed to kids unknowingly over the years via toothbrush, etc, which just added to the terrible anxiety already. I truly do not know why I wrote what I did, ,please understand it was not out of dishonesty just dillusional is all I can explain. I have not been diagnosed and am waiting test results in a few weeks from DNAPCR and Abbots Realtime DNARNA for M/O/N. I truly am so terribly sorry, and no dishonesty was intended, your support has meant so much to me and I truly hope that you can forgive me and know that I acted under tremendous stress and not out of my normal behavior. I hope you can understand that it was not intentional to be deceitful, etc. I wasn't myself and I'm just very frightened. Everything else I have written to you has always been upfront and honest in the last 6 months, just this irrational one was really out there, I admit and take full responsibility for. I'm just a mom, extremely scared to death but I wish you all the very best for your health and all that you do for so many people. Blessings, Julie (Jules)

Anxiety-I apologize Dr. Bob, not intended (Submitted Oct 29, 2008)

Dr. Bob-I first and foremost apologize to you, my email was definetely not written correctly, not out of dishonesty, but anxiety and I didn't double check it, I am very sorry. You do not have to respond, I understand your anger, please know that I'm not in a normal mental state and very frightened. I didn't mean to mislead, as I see my first email did. What it should have accurately said is that I found out most tests do not screen for O and N, and that my boyfriend had contact with someone where that is found and that I need further testing, which I had yesterday. I was really desperate when I wrote the first one, and it was irresponsible to give you 1/2 information to say the least. I hope you can forgive me and know that I highly respect you and am just a very concerned and terrified mom right now, not acting with all of my faculties. I hope you can understand, it truly was not intended and I should have reread it before I sent it and corrected the error. Many blessings to you Dr. Bob-Julie

Hello Julie,

Your rapid apology is, of course, accepted. The real concern on my part is that if I had posted your initial message with the inaccurate information, it may well have scared the hell out of other readers who then would have been thrown into a completely unnecessary and unwarranted panic.

I understand your anxiety, but your level of desperation is way out of proportion to your actual level of HIV-acquisition risk. The odds are excellent you'll be WOO-HOOing (and feeling a bit foolish for being so irrational) when you get your test results back.

Good luck! Let me know the result, OK?

poss transmission to child Oct 29, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob, I've written many times, each time you say no way no how. Come to find out my tests HIV1/2 Antibody screens for "GroupO" but doesn't always pick it up. My rapid test didn't screen for "O" or "N" just M. I just found out my ex-LTC in the Marine corp had sex with a woman in Liberia while stationed there, so the risk of those groups is high. I've taken today the DNA PCR and Abbots Realtime HIV1 Antibody checking for all M/N/O. My biggest fear is that I could have passed to kids unknowingly over these years. I know it isn't likely but sometimes my daughter used my toothbrush accidentally after me (my gums bleed alot usually when I brush) or I've attended to scraped knees and I've had cuts perhaps. What is the possibility of such a transmission? Does it die quickly in the air ie toothbrush etc? I've heard it does, but don't know what to believe anymore. I should have my results soon. I hope this will finally put an end to a year long nightmare of worry, and so pray that my kids are okay. At the time before we were intimate we both had tests, but unknown to me they didn't screen for all groups. I didn't even know there were groups or that he'd been to AFrica for all that matter. The tests should cover all of this, for then I would have known and could have avoided all of this. I know it's rare here, but this world is global and if they knew about it, the tests should screen for it. Thank you and comfort will help. Jules

Positive after everyone said no-terrified of infecting daughter (Submitted Oct 25, 2008)

Hi Dr. Bob, I've been writing, you said with all listed and test results, no way no how, it's all psychological. Well, even though the HIV1/2 Elisa test stated for M&O Groups, it missed the O. I know my body and what was going on wasn't normal, but noone would listen. I don't understand why these tests aren't more accurate. I would have known then the ex's status, and never slept with him. I haven't known for 3 years and didn't pay too much attention to occasional cuts, bandaging daughters bloody knees, sharing drinks, sometimes toothbrushes ie camping. She's starting to have yeast infections, etc and I'm convinced I transmitted it to her as well. I know the risk is slight, but so was mine, O is so rare and he used condom, but bingo nonetheless. How do I go about getting treatment for her? What is the prognosis for kids on treatment. This entire ordeal is just absolutely horrific and devastating and I'm barely functioning. To think I've ruined her life is just unbearable at this point. Please help, I"m desperate at this point. My phone is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks so very much-Julie

Hello Jules,

I've combined your two most recent posts. I was confused and concerned by your October 25th post, which suggested you had been diagnosed HIV positive with group O virus. As I was in the midst of composing a reply to that post, your most recent question popped into my inbox. Imagine my surprise (and relief) when it stated you were just going for additional testing for "group O." Needless to say, Jules, you apparently were not being entirely honest with me. It's impossible for me to give you accurate (or even helpful) responses when you don't provide truthful information! I very strongly value honesty and veracity! Since I can no longer trust the information you are providing, I will no longer be responding to your posts. I will advise you that the information, advice and recommendations I've given to date are indeed accurate, based on the information you provided.

Follow Up : Sahved Skin with cuts
Dr Bob..I'm back and can't believe it!