poss transmission to child

Hi Dr. Bob, I've written many times, each time you say no way no how. Come to find out my tests HIV1/2 Antibody screens for "GroupO" but doesn't always pick it up. My rapid test didn't screen for "O" or "N" just M. I just found out my ex-LTC in the Marine corp had sex with a woman in Liberia while stationed there, so the risk of those groups is high. I've taken today the DNA PCR and Abbots Realtime HIV1 Antibody checking for all M/N/O. My biggest fear is that I could have passed to kids unknowingly over these years. I know it isn't likely but sometimes my daughter used my toothbrush accidentally after me (my gums bleed alot usually when I brush) or I've attended to scraped knees and I've had cuts perhaps. What is the possibility of such a transmission? Does it die quickly in the air ie toothbrush etc? I've heard it does, but don't know what to believe anymore. I should have my results soon. I hope this will finally put an end to a year long nightmare of worry, and so pray that my kids are okay. At the time before we were intimate we both had tests, but unknown to me they didn't screen for all groups. I didn't even know there were groups or that he'd been to AFrica for all that matter. The tests should cover all of this, for then I would have known and could have avoided all of this. I know it's rare here, but this world is global and if they knew about it, the tests should screen for it. Thank you and comfort will help. Jules

Positive after everyone said no-terrified of infecting daughter (Submitted Oct 25, 2008)

Hi Dr. Bob, I've been writing, you said with all listed and test results, no way no how, it's all psychological. Well, even though the HIV1/2 Elisa test stated for M&O Groups, it missed the O. I know my body and what was going on wasn't normal, but noone would listen. I don't understand why these tests aren't more accurate. I would have known then the ex's status, and never slept with him. I haven't known for 3 years and didn't pay too much attention to occasional cuts, bandaging daughters bloody knees, sharing drinks, sometimes toothbrushes ie camping. She's starting to have yeast infections, etc and I'm convinced I transmitted it to her as well. I know the risk is slight, but so was mine, O is so rare and he used condom, but bingo nonetheless. How do I go about getting treatment for her? What is the prognosis for kids on treatment. This entire ordeal is just absolutely horrific and devastating and I'm barely functioning. To think I've ruined her life is just unbearable at this point. Please help, I"m desperate at this point. My phone is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks so very much-Julie

Hello Jules,

I've combined your two most recent posts. I was confused and concerned by your October 25th post, which suggested you had been diagnosed HIV positive with group O virus. As I was in the midst of composing a reply to that post, your most recent question popped into my inbox. Imagine my surprise (and relief) when it stated you were just going for additional testing for "group O." Needless to say, Jules, you apparently were not being entirely honest with me. It's impossible for me to give you accurate (or even helpful) responses when you don't provide truthful information! I very strongly value honesty and veracity! Since I can no longer trust the information you are providing, I will no longer be responding to your posts. I will advise you that the information, advice and recommendations I've given to date are indeed accurate, based on the information you provided.

PILLS FOR STDS
Hey, I'm in the room