Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help downunder

Oct 28, 2008

Hi Doc,

You're doing a great job. I can't get to proper testing (cowboy in a remote location downunder)Would you recommend further testing in this case?

Risk - Brief unprotected vaginal intercourse (male perspective), suspect female of unknown status

Symptoms: Week 2 - Mild fever/temperature overnight, white furry tongue for a day, headache for 4 hours and two nights with night sweats (one night quite severe), and one mouth ulcer/canker sore lasting 2 weeks. These symptoms did not all occur simulataneously, but were seperate and at all different stages throughout the week or so. Week 4 - Coldsore lasting a week, sensitivity to light (eyes hurt watching bright TV or in direct sunlight) face felt sunburt but appeared normal Week 10 - Myalgia/arthralgia (joint/muscle pain) for 2 weeks, particularly in the knees and elbows

- No rash, lymphadenopathy or pharyngitis

Testing: -ve result from rapid test kit (hivkits.co.uk) at 6 and 8 weeks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

G'day Cowboy from Down Under,

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. Consequently, I wouldn't rely on them. The reason to worry (or test) is HIV-exposure risk. You had unprotected sex and therefore you do have some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Your negative HIV tests at six and eight weeks are extremely encouraging. Some testing sites in the Land Down Under use eight weeks as the definitive window period for a conclusive test. Most international guidelines still recommend three months. Personally, I'd recommend you get a repeat test at the three-month mark to conclusively reconfirm your negative status. And then I'd suggest you run wild through the outback screaming WOO-HOO like a banshee in heat.

Good luck Aussie-Cowboy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
CD4 count
Next
Waiting for results (from Milano) part 4 WB indeterminate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.