Scared To Death!

Dr. Bob, thank you for all of the hard and helping work that you perform each and every single day...you are absolutely a miracle! My story begins about 2 hours ago, when foolishly, i had protected intercourse with a female sex worker. Unfortunately, she was on her period and I did not find this out until I pulled out and saw blood all over the condom. I proceeded to carefully pull the condom off, however some blood fell onto the shaft of my penis while doing so. I scrubbed my hands and the affected area several times with instant hand sanitizer, urinated thereafter, and quickly showered and washed my hands and genitals with 91% rubbing alcohol before and after showering. Dr....I am scared to death at this point! Should I be looking into PEP at this point? Thank you again for all of your help, and I will definately donate!

Relax Max. HIV cannot permeate intact skin. Assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break, your HIV-transmission risk would be negligible. Blood on the shaft of your penis is not a problem if the skin was intact. PEP is definitely not warranted. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but if it efficiently and effectively puts your residual worries permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are (and that you stay) HIV negative!

Good luck. Be well.

Shared Cocaine Snorting Straw With Someone, and Worried (HEPATITIS C and SNORTING COCAINE, 2008)
Thanks