I'm really afraid of being infected

I had insertive anal sex with a person that discovered to be hiv positive 4 days after our sexual relation. I'm really afraid of being infected and I know I can't do PEP anymore... Is there a chance of I being not infected since we had only one sexual relation? Is it true that rectum mucus is highly infective? When should I do my first HIV test?

I'm assuming your "insertive anal sex" was unprotected. The important lesson here is that whether or not you discovered your bottom boy (or gal) was HIV positive four days after your "wham bam thank you Sam (or ma'am)," you placed yourself at considerable risk for STDs, including HIV, by deciding to go commando-Rambo between the sheets.

You are correct: PEP is not warranted, as it's been longer than 72 hours since your lapse in judgment. Consequently, your only option is to wait and get HIV tested. The guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at both three and six months, as you had a significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive. Is it possible you were not infected? Yes, absolutely. However, we won't know one way or the other until we have the results of your tests.

I realize this is a very difficult and anxiety-inducing way to learn the lesson that unsafe sex is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences; however, I'm also confident this is now a lesson you won't forget. Hopefully you were not infected by this sexcapade. The lesson "learned the hard way" may well save you from being infected in the future.

Still Worried
window period for ICMA test