Scared....

My boyfriend found out a couple of weeks ago that he is hiv+. I tested immediately and got a negative result...but that's not really much comfort when I know I have to test again in three months, then again in six months. My question is this...his viral load was 100,000. This puts me at very high risk, right? Is there any chance at all that I won't have contracted HIV through our unprotected (vaginal, anal, and oral) sex?

Unprotected sex with someone confirmed to be HIV positive does indeed put you at risk for acquiring the virus. A high HIV plasma viral load does increase the risk of HIV transmission. Is there any chance you have not contracted the virus? Yes. Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission. In fact, the vast majority of exposures do not (thankfully!). As this point, all you can do is wait and get HIV tested at the three- and six-month marks. You've probably also learned a valuable lesson about unprotected sex. It's just not worth the potentially catastrophic consequences!

Take a read through the archives. You'll find a number of testimonials in which folks tell how they were repeatedly exposed to HIV but did not contract the virus.

Good luck with your follow-up tests. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Remember me...the basket case????
Just Chillin at Home...Taking an HIV Test