is it right?

I was reading the local newspaper here and there was a story about a man infecting himself with HIV. He got it from his pos. wife to show his love for her. Now there is a big up roar about it people saying that there tax dollars should not go to help him. I think that she is lucky to find someone who loves her that much what do you think?

I think the guy is nuts. Allowing one's self to become infected with HIV does not prove love. I do admit that "survivor guilt" is as a real phenomenon in mixed-serostatus couples. And although I understand the "let's go through this together" ideology, in reality it doesn't make any sense. HIV is not the same disease in very person. For instance, it's possible Mr. Newly-Infected could progress much faster than his HIV-positive wife! I also can't imagine why the HIV-positive wife would allow her husband to put himself at risk for contracting the virus. How does one live with himself if he knowingly gives his mate a non-curable disease??? I've been in a magnetic relationship for 15 years. There is no way in hell I'd purposely expose the love of my life to this hideous disease. To do so would be unconscionable.

As for the big uproar about tax dollars covering someone who made a very unwise health decision, the same argument could be used not to pay for people who smoke or who are fat or kids who ride skateboards and break their leg or people who voted for McCain/Palin. These are all extremely unwise voluntary decisions that could have a very negative and costly effect on one's health.

same aussie mike
need some reassurance - just donated