Night Sweats

Hi Bob - sorry to impose but I am worried. Been back in Australia from Thailand for over two weeks yet am still having severe night sweats, enough to require a change of shirt; sometimes twice. The sweating started about five days after contact and about the same I returned home. I know the contact I had was more than likely safe - but this sweating has me worried. In addition I had a bad head cold about a week after contact but we had a person with a cold sitting next to us on the plane. The contact itself seemed innocuous - just a normal massage, but I had a sunspot on my leg which had been bleeding and after the polite refusal on "extras" I am concerned the masseuse may have accidentillay or even intentionally (because of my refusal) infected me through the open sunspot. I know the likelyhood is remote but the sweating is starting to worry me greatly. How worried should I be about the sweating? - Thanks AussieMike

Hello Aussie Mike,

I agree a "normal massage" is indeed "innocuous." Your concerns the masseuse intentionally (or accidentally) infected you through a "sunspot" on your leg are irrational.

Night sweats can result form many underlying conditions other than HIV! If you're concerned, see your doctor for a checkup. I do not believe your symptoms are HIV related. If you can't shake your worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

By the way, are you the same Aussie Mike who was worried about night sweats after a trip to Thailand earlier in the year? (See below.) Or is this the beginning of an epidemic of night-sweating, Thailand-visiting Aussie Mikes???

Night sweats Jul 9, 2008

I received an assuring response from you around 18 June, (not sure of the specific date as the thread runs out on 20 June). I asked about the risk of hiv transmission after fondling the penis of a ladyboy in Thailand when I had a 2 day old, healing paper cut between my knuckle and nail. You said the risk was essentially non-existant. Since returning home I have had severall nights where I had to change my shirt due to severe sweating. I put this down to a change from the tropics to winter here in Oz and a heavy duvet and some anxiety - and tried to ignore it and follow your advice. However a question about night sweats, answered on 8 July had got me all converned again. I have no other symptoms. I even went out and got a flu shot. So the question is - do you think these night sweats are indicative of anything more than my anxiety and a change of climate? Last sweat was two nights ago, 12 days after returning to Oz. Cheers Aussie Mike.

G'day Mike,

Do I think your night sweats are indicative of anything more than your anxiety and a change of climate? Nope, absofrickinlutely not!

My advice "relax mate, she'll be apples" remains unchanged.

Risk from cut finger? Jun 18, 2008

I posed this question already and am hoping you considered it not a problem. Nonetheless I am pretty stressed and would really appreciate your thoughts. Last week I did something really dumb while on holiday here in Thailand. I had a small cut on my big finger between the nail and knuckle which is about 3-4mm long. It was not a deep cut and it just grazed the surface causing some bleeding It was caused by a piece of glass, and it occurred about two and a half days prior to the contact. A bit of Band-aid at the time stopped bleeing quickly and after the two days or so it looked to be healing well. What did I do? Well after a couple of beers I ended up next to a ladyboy and using my right hand fondled her penis for about 4 minutes or so. I am very concerned there may have been some precum in the vicinity and even though my cut would not have been in direct contact with her penis I am so concerned I may have exposed myself to hiv. I am incredibly worried and would very much appreciate your opinion regarding my risk status. By the way I visited your beautiful city of SF from Aussie recently. Great place - great people. Many thanks. Mike

G'day Aussie Mike,

Relax mate! Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent. If HIV were that easily transmitted, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. There is absolutely no HIV risk from fondling the Mr. /Ms. Happy of a ladyboy or boylady with a 3-4 mm two-and-a-half-day-old, well-healing cut, even if precum were "in the vicinity", but not in direct contact with the cut, OK? You have a greater risk of being gobbled up alive by a crazed Tasmanian devil in heat while shopping on Oxford Street in Sydney than getting HIV from such a non-exposure!

So do relax mate. She'll be apples.

Thanks Dr. Bob
??? (Findings Suggest HIV Can Be Transmitted From MSM With Undetectable Viral Load, 2008)