Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV&blood splash
Oct 20, 2008

I am a resident physician working in ER. yesterday while suturing the blood splashed to my face &I'm not sure about eyes. I checked hiv serology on patient that was negative,should i worry about getting hiv

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello ER Resident,

I see no cause for concern or worry regarding your potential "occupational exposure." Even if the patient was HIV positive (extremely unlikely), the virus cannot permeate intact skin. If blood had splashed into your eyes, you would have realized it. That the patient tested HIV negative is extremely reassuring. The chance that the patient is in his "window period" (the time from transmission of the virus to the time anti-HIV antibodies can be detected in the blood) would be extremely remote. As with all potential occupational exposures to bloodborne pathogens, you should complete an incident report and be evaluated at occupational health. As a physician, you should be familiar with the "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis." You can download a copy at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm. And as a physician working in the ER, you should also familiarize yourself with the guidelines for "Antiretroviral Prophylaxis after Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States." You can download a copy of the nPEP guidelines at www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5402.pdf.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I have been going nuts waiting for a response!
Next
Waiting for results (from Milano) part 3

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.