I have been going nuts waiting for a response!

Dr. Bob I check this forum everyday for a follow up question! I have written to you at least 20 times and have made donations in the past...please some help! I asked you a question 2 months ago, you told me to get tested at 3 months to ease my fears, but said my risk was nonexistant. However, I am having a real problem understanding....can you please scientifically answer my question?

Just to remind you: 1)I had a small cut on my finger that was 1 hour old, bled slightly...2)I met a guy at a party and shook his hand, this guy had a bleeding cut and did not tell me....3)I shook his hand and did NOT notice any large amount of blood on my hand....However, could a small trace of blood have gotten into my hour old cut? Why would this not be a risk?

Now you already said this is nonexistant....but could you please scientifically explain?

Be reasonable. What type of "scientific" answer do you expect I can provide? A "small trace of blood getting into an hour old cut" via a handshake with a guy of unknown HIV status at a party is not considered to be a significant HIV-transmission/acquisition risk; nor is it the subject of intense scientific scrutiny and experimentation. The chance of the guy being HIV positive and getting an adequate quantity of his HIV-positive blood directly into your hour-old cut via a handshake is so extremely remote the odds you are infected with HIV become essentially nonexistent. As I mentioned before, if you need additional reassurance, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative and that will be visible scientific proof that you are conclusively HIV negative, OK?

Sorry to take away from your precious time
HIV&blood splash