Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help! terrified...
Oct 17, 2008

Dr Bob, I am too scared to test now. Just dont know how to feel. I had 2 positive rapid tests at 21 days (clearview statpak)and 28 days(oraquick) after exposure. But negative DNA PCR (day 11) and negative WB (day 21). Followed by a negative HIV 1/O/2 test through Labcorp (day 35), Labcorp didnt have to do a WB, the screening test was negative. Now I am just too scared to test. The only other possible exposure was more than 6 months ago. I have a feeling that my next test will be positive. Please help me out. is it possible that I may not be infected after all? Thankyou for your help, Regards,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

What's all this nonsense about "too scared to test"??? Don't be such a ninny. Being scared doesn't change the reality of your HIV serostatus. Also, please note when it comes to HIV, what you don't know can kill you! Besides, as I've already explained, your results to date are extremely encouraging and the odds remain astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative. See below! Stop being terrified and start practicing your WOO-HOO! Get tested and put these unwarranted fears permanently to rest.

Dr. Bob

confused about testing Oct 16, 2008

Dr Bob, After getting a positive rapid test followed by negative WB 3 weeks after a possible exposure I had another positive rapid test at 4 weeks. Then on your advice I went to university health clinic here, where the doctor ordered antibody test from labcorp which was done at week 5 and was thankfully negative. Labcorp doesnt use Elisa any more but some thing called IMFA (negative at week 5). I had flu like symptoms at day 10 after exposure and negative DNA PCR at 11th day after exposure. I dont now how a rapid test can be more sensitive than the expensive labcorp antibodies testing. I know I need to test after the window period but do I have any chances? Thanks,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your test results to date are extremely encouraging. Please note that a positive rapid test followed by a negative Western Blot is considered to be a negative HIV test! In addition, you've had a negative IMFA and undetectable DNA PCR qualitative test. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative. You can read more about the various types of HIV-diagnostic tests in the archives.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Truvada
Next
I am undetectable

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.